Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bribren
Level 8

Roku Ultra Showing everything in 4K

I have a Roku Ultra 4800, a Yamaha 4K receiver and an LG OLED CX TV which supports 4K and Dolby Vision. Everything the Roku streams, regardless of age, is showing as a 4K stream and many as Dolby Vision even though it seems impossible. TV series from 2005 show as a 4k stream. I do not see 1080i any more coming from the Roku. Even the home screen says it is a 4k stream. The yamaha has the ability to display what it is receiving in the video stream.

Can anybody explain why this is? 

Brian

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra Showing everything in 4K

Rokus (and nearly every streamer) upscale everything to the highest detected supported resolution of the connected device.

You need to turn off "HDR Always on":  Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced Display Settings/HDR Always on=off

You should also change audio to passthrough mode:  Settings/Audio/HDMI/Auto passthrough

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bribren
Level 8

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I did not know about the HDR setting and it was indeed set to 'always on' forcing what I experienced. I assume this is some kind of upscaling of all video streams. I set it to 'OFF' and now it comes through as per the native resolution. 'HDR Always on' may not be a bad thing though. I'm amazed at how much content Netflix has in HD, even old series like "Breaking Bad'.

I do have audio passthru set correctly.

What about the HDR subsampling? It was set to 4:2:0 and always came thru as RGB 24 bit. Not sure why. Should it be set to 4:2:2? I'm not sure I understand the difference. As regards refresh rate, I presume I should set it use the native refresh rate?

Thanks again

Brian

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

@bribren wrote:

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I did not know about the HDR setting and it was indeed set to 'always on' forcing what I experienced. I assume this is some kind of upscaling of all video streams. I set it to 'OFF' and now it comes through as per the native resolution. 'HDR Always on' may not be a bad thing though. I'm amazed at how much content Netflix has in HD, even old series like "Breaking Bad'.

I do have audio passthru set correctly.

What about the HDR subsampling? It was set to 4:2:0 and always came thru as RGB 24 bit. Not sure why. Should it be set to 4:2:2? I'm not sure I understand the difference. As regards refresh rate, I presume I should set it use the native refresh rate?

Thanks again

Brian

It came through as RGB 24 bit because of the detected Dolby Vision support (consequence of how it transports across HDMI).

With your LG CX I'd just leave it at 4:2:0 since it handles 4:2:0 without issue and nearly everything is mastered in that.

You can enable adaptive refresh rate if you'd like - be aware it wont work for several apps (E.g. NetFlix, Hulu, Disney+, etc) since they are framerate-locked to 60Hz (another discussion in and of itself).

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bribren
Level 8

Much obliged again. I have asked in a forum why Dolby Vision is 24bit RGB when you'd think it would be 30 bit as it is a 10 bit technology but never got replies. I'd be interested if you could expand on your comment and explain why it is 24 bit and that is not a quality issue.

Brian

0 Kudos