Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Obezor
Level 7

Roku Ultra + 4GB USB HDD

Roku Ultra + 4GB UDB HDD w H.265 content
Menu of titles comes up fine
H.264 okay
but H.265 PB lacking sound
do I need to add HW?
minimum cost?
thanks (newbie)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Ultra + 4GB USB HDD

There's no hardware you can add to the Roku when you are connecting the HDD directly to the player. Since H.264 is working OK but H.265 isn't, we need to determine what audio codec is being used in the files that aren't playing correctly. Also, we need to know which model Ultra you have (4640 or 4660). If your H.265 has Dolby TrueHD audio tracks, then you won't get any sound. If it is DTS Master Audio, the Roku will passthrough the lossy DTS core, but only if you are connected to something that supports DTS. And that brings another question, how is your Roku connected to your TV: directly to the TV or passing through an AV receiver? If you are connected directly to the TV, your TV probably doesn't support the audio codec of your H.265 files. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Obezor
Level 7

I'll try to help you help me as best I can. TIA

There's no hardware you can add to the Roku when you are connecting the HDD directly to the player.
Is there HW that I can impose between the player and the HDD?

Since H.264 is working OK but H.265 isn't, we need to determine what audio codec is being used in the files that aren't playing correctly.
How do I determine that?

Also, we need to know which model Ultra you have (4640 or 4660).
I believe that it is the 4660. (It is currently in storage.)

If your H.265 has Dolby TrueHD audio tracks, then you won't get any sound. If it is DTS Master Audio, the Roku will passthrough the lossy DTS core, but only if you are connected to something that supports DTS.
Huh?

How is your Roku connected to your TV: directly to the TV or passing through an AV receiver?
Into an HDMI input on the TV.
If you are connected directly to the TV, your TV probably doesn't support the audio codec of your H.265 files.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

No, there's no hardware you can use between the Roku USB port and the hard drive. What you can do is connect the hard drive to a computer connected to the same network that is running some sort of media server. Plex is one option, and I like Serviio DLNA server, but there are others. That way a video that isn't supported by the player can be transcoded "on the fly" to something that is supported. 
To determine the codecs contained in a video, the simplest way is using a program called Media Info. It's available for virtually all operating systems. It will identify your video and audio codecs, along with identifying any captions tracks and chapter breaks. 
The 4660 does not contain a Dolby Digital decoder, so if your audio is anything but DD then your TV probably can't play it.
If your videos are ripped Blu Ray discs, they could contain what are called lossless audio tracks. For Dolby it's called TrueHD, and for DTS it's called Master Audio. They could also contain the new position oriented audio known as Dolby Atmos or DTS:X. None of these audio codecs are supported by a TV, so you likely will get no audio at all. 
Every TV supports Dolby Digital, and a very few will also play DTS. So if you want to play your videos directly to your TV, they have to be encoded with DD. 
What TV are you using?
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos