Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fraunpetri

Roku Ultra 4800R vs. Roku 3 4200X USB Media Player

Not sure who else has had this issue but I'm trying to figure out if there is a fix. 

I recently bought a Roku Ultra 4800R to replace my old Roku 3 4200X as I'm looking to upgrade to a 4k TV. I've ripped the majority of my movie collection from blu-rays and DVDs onto an external hard drive. Everything was created with h264 or AVC codecs and the Roku 3 didn't have an issue playing any of these files and passing audio through to my receiver. The new Roku Ultra is a different story. Some files play perfectly but a lot of them have significant stuttering issues with the picture; the audio continues to play without issue. I'm using a USB 3.0 hard drive with external power formatted with NTFS. The one Ultra setting I thought might be causing problems was the advanced setting changing auto refresh rate but the problem persists whether it is on or off. All of these files are 1080 or lower resolution and I'm still using my old non-4k TV at the moment.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
dathead2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra 4800R vs. Roku 3 4200X USB Media Player

Shot in dark but might want to try an ultra 2018 or 2019

I have 2018 and plays everything fine (minus the annoying one second delay and occasional hangs introduced via software last fall) 

Similar setup.  Ntfs usb 3,0 etc

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos