Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku Ultra 4660 or new Ultra 4800?

I have a Roku Ultra (Model No. 4660W2).  Is it worth buying the latest model of the Roku Ultra or are the updates to my model sufficient?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra

@d2r wrote:

I have a Roku Ultra (Model No. 4660W2).  Is it worth buying the latest model of the Roku Ultra or are the updates to my model sufficient?  Thanks.

Depends what you are looking for.

The 4660 had 1GB of RAM while the new model has 2GB of RAM.  This helps channels launch and run a little more snappier.

New model adds BlueTooth audio streaming which if you wanted to use your TV as a bluetooth speaker might be nice.

They claim it has 50% more range for wireless.

And the USB port is now supports USB 3.0.  However, USB 2.0 worked fine for playing video files so I'm not sure this specific item really changes much.  Might be nice if they someday supported an USB ATSC tuner in the future but so far there is no indication that is planned.

For me personally, doubling the RAM would be the biggest selling point.  Oddly this isn't even listed as a selling point in the product specs.

If any of these are important features for you, then the answer might be yes.  Otherwise, upgrading to RokuOS 9.4 should get you the other improvements (as far as I know).

As a side note, I am disappointed the Roku Streambar and Roku Smart Soundbar are both only 1GB RAM devices.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra

I just purchased the Roku Ultra 4800 while seeing the roku add on my TV. Had a $20 off offer so I took it. Have had it for 10 days - this is the worst Roku I have ever had and I have been using roku on 5 tvs in my home for years! I have just finished doing the online return for this product. It absolutely does not pair with the bluetooth headphones I received yesterday for Christmas,( which as a disabled person would have helped me so much)  and the past 10 days have had the worst audio syncing issues. I have NEVER had a syncing issue with Roku before this but it is bad on every channel. I went to the community to see about a fix for the audio issues - not one recommendation worked and it is worse than ever. Not that my opinion matters in the big scheme of things, but I cannot recommend Roku products anymore - a cheap Firestick seems to work perfectly and with none of these issues.

0 Kudos