Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveDi

Re: Roku Ultra 4, can't format new microSD card

Jump to solution

Thanks for this, just tried inserting after boot up and it worked perfectly! Brand new 32gb class 10 card, was not recognized at all when installed while the Roku was unplugged. You’re right, this should be included in Roku’s instructions or FAQ document.

mce3

Jump to solution

I had the same microsd card recognition issues.  Did all the same troubleshooting.  Never got the popup Roku microsd message until I did the slow Win10 format and then inserted the microsd card into my 4630X while it was powered up.  Roku then recognized,  formatted and accepted the card.  Roku now seems to switch faster between channels.  I will monitor this awhile before I change to a different streaming device.

Thanks HamburgerHelper for the detailed post.  

WDee
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Or Roku could try making decent products.  Cheers.

0 Kudos
liljonny
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Zaap
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had this same issue recently. Dusted off the old Roku 4 for new projector. I was too lazy to find a card reader for my PC so I wondered would a MacBook work. Formatted my SanDisk 32Gb with MSDOS on the MacBook... regular not 'slow' so it took a couple seconds. Popped it in the Roku and it formatted fine! So people may want to try a fast format first and if it doesn't work then the slow. 

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

What format the SD card in before is not important. As long as the Roku doesn't recognize it, it will ask to format it.

For DOS/Windows, a fast format simply creates the directories and other info. A "slow" format will also read the entire card to look for any bad spots to mark as unusable. That is why the Roku format can take a long time.

0 Kudos
skier05

Jump to solution

I did the slow format with my laptop and it still doesn't work . 

tricknology
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This method did not work for me.

0 Kudos
Zaap
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@andyross wrote:

What format the SD card in before is not important. As long as the Roku doesn't recognize it, it will ask to format it.

What does this even mean? If it didn't matter how the card was formatted by another device, then no one here would be talking about using the slow format option vs fast. 

0 Kudos
MATT20
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you.

I had the same problems here with a locked up box after inserting a new PNY 32g/b (name brand) 

sd card in the micro sd port.  Upon insertion WITH the box powered up and set to

"settings' mode, the sd card was immediately recognized an formatted in about 4 minutes.

After that, the settings function automatically took over and 'updated' the channels to the new sd card.

done.

0 Kudos