Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaFlava

Roku Ultra (2020) 4800R Forced Dolby Vision

Jump to solution

So picked up a new 4800R Roku Ultra today because of the Dolby Vision + Atmos support. I have it hooked up to Sony 900F and Roku detects Dolby Vision. Thing I'm noticing is on the home/dash of the Roku it pops up that Dolby Vision is enabled however when you go into apps that don't support Dolby Vision it forces you to use it which results in washed out images and or too bright whites. Netflix for example when watching no DV content should auto detect and go back to normal settings which is what I see on other platforms. I don't see any other way to correct this but if it's not something simple soon I'll just return it because this is a serious flaw imo which results in this being worthless.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mackguyver
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Ultra (2020) 4800R Forced Dolby Vision

Jump to solution

Under System>Advanced System Settings>Advanced Display Settings, turn HDR Always On to Off. 

FYI, the same thing happens with Dolby Atmos (i.e. everything is converted to Atmos) unless you go to Audio>HDMI and change it from Auto Detect to Auto Passthrough.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
mackguyver
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Under System>Advanced System Settings>Advanced Display Settings, turn HDR Always On to Off. 

FYI, the same thing happens with Dolby Atmos (i.e. everything is converted to Atmos) unless you go to Audio>HDMI and change it from Auto Detect to Auto Passthrough.

DaFlava

Jump to solution

Thanks!! Honestly not sure why you'd want this On as default...

Maximln

Jump to solution

Thank you so much!! That is exactly what I was looking for!!  It was driving me crazy!!

0 Kudos
Dodgersfan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

but this doesn't work with Netflix Atmos content, because NF requires that the decoding occur in the first device that it sees, so one would have to switch back and forth the audio setting between different channels

optimally the Auto-detect would do the decoding for all codecs and pass PCM to the AVR; alternatively it should have a setting for what to decode and what to passthrough as bitstream for example.

RobF2427
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I also have the Sony 900F. Just updated to latest Android software and since I did that the TV doesn’t always switch to DV when DV content is playing through the new Roku Ultra. Have to restart the Ultra for it to pick up the DV. Any suggestions?

Kapil309
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Got latest Roku Ultra 2020 and updated it to latest FW build 4800 v 9.4.x , done audio setting to Auto Passthrough , Dolby Atmos shown in Netflix and works successfully.  For this to work your TV or AVR  Reciever should have Dolby Atmos support.

But Dolby Vision is neither shown in any title in description and not working in Netflix - I am using Kodak CA series 4K TV which is Dolby Vision Enabled. - Any suggestion?

0 Kudos
gminnick
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a Sony A1E and it had a recent update but that happened around same time I got my Roku Ultra.  But I also have issues where DV will stop working and I have to restart the Roku to get it to work again.  I just put in a support ticket with Roku.

0 Kudos
RobF2427
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Good luck, I’ve been messaging with them for over a week and gotten nowhere. It’s def an Ultra issue because I tried the Firesticn and it works fine. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Playing through a Denon X4500H and pleased to see that Dolby Vision passes through, because this is not officially supported by the AVR.

When by VIZIO TV is fed by other sources, like an XBox, the TV decides for each source and material whether HDR10 is supported. 

I understand from this threat that I will have to figure out whether Dolby Vision is supported and turn the feature on and off manually?

0 Kudos