Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
junepinkrose062
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra 2019 versus 2020

I bought the one for $ 130.00 on Amazon

and I am returning it and I bought

another for $ 80.00.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@junepinkrose062 wrote:

I bought the one for $ 130.00 on Amazon

and I am returning it and I bought

another for $ 80.00.

Unfortunately, Amazon sometimes have 3rd party resellers that try to take advantage of customers by way over-pricing items. I believe Amazon would appreciate hearing from you how they were selling a product for a 30% markup over the manufacturer's site, even before the sale price currently available. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
aaronwt
Level 9

I saw the 2020 ROku Ultra on the ROku site today. It seems like the big difference is that the new Ultra has Dolby Vision support.

TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2019 Ultra--2016 Ultra

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos
atc98092

@aaronwt wrote:

I saw the 2020 ROku Ultra on the ROku site today. It seems like the big difference is that the new Ultra has Dolby Vision support.

Wow, that was fast. I didn't expect it there for a few days at least. 

So DV is certainly one major addition. Adding Bluetooth for streaming from another device is also something new. And I see in the specs their "new" Atmos support is in reality support for the AC-4 audio codec, which will be used in the ATSC 3.0 specification. It's still lossy, but adds support for a possible 7.1.4 channel configuration. So it's TrueHD on a bitrate diet. Smiley Happy

Dan

KJSS
Level 10

I got the 2019 version from bestbuy on 11/29/2019 for 50 bucks normally 100 plus 50 off.  Not sure if I need the new 2020 model that supports dolby and av1.  What is av1 anyway?  Bluetooth as mentioned here looks interesting.  Does that mean I can use bluetooth headphones?  And I am etherneting not wifi.  So not much of an upgrade maybe.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/9/28/21459599/roku-ultra-2020-announced-features-dolby-vi...

0 Kudos
atc98092

@KJSS wrote:

I got the 2019 version from bestbuy on 11/29/2019 for 50 bucks normally 100 plus 50 off.  Not sure if I need the new 2020 model that supports dolby and av1.  What is av1 anyway?  Bluetooth as mentioned here looks interesting.  Does that mean I can use bluetooth headphones?  And I am etherneting not wifi.  So not much of an upgrade maybe.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/9/28/21459599/roku-ultra-2020-announced-features-dolby-vi...

AV1 will be used by YouTube for content in the future, although I'm sure the change from VP-9 will take some time. Will other providers be switching as well? Hard to say, but it is a more efficient codec, especially for 4K/HDR content. 

They didn't really explain what the BT will support, other than streaming media from a phone or tablet via BT. I could understand the desire for playing audio to BT headphones, but they didn't mention that possability. 

Dan

0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 10

don't buy for that price, their MSRP is $99. they sell it for that price. don't be fooled. 

@DrNKD wrote:

I have noticed on Amazon there is Roku Ultra 2020 for a whopping $50 more ($149) than the Roku Ultra 2019 at $99. Anyone know if there is any difference between the two models (better microprocessor, updated software, etc.)?

0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 10

@BobThePlumber wrote:

No model number on Amazon, just release date April 30, 2020.

"Newest " Ultra model for $139, bundled with a 32GB SD card.

that would be the 2019 model and I wouldn't fall for that. first you can find a good micro sd for much cheaper than that and second if you are looking to get the 2020 model you won't be using a microSD card. the comparison chart shows the new one has that slot absent which prompts the question of "how much channel memory does the new one have?" which is also not listed. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

If the advertised Ultra contains an SD card slot, it is not the latest, newest version that was just announced. Also note on the Roku web site that the new Ultra isn't even available until Oct 15. Anyone advertising the newest Ultra for delivery before that date is not offering the newest model.

Dan

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

Here is a benchmark test comparing WiFi6 vs WiFi5. Some various differences, but nothing really major.

https://www.techspot.com/article/2098-wifi-5-vs-wifi-6/

0 Kudos