Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gam2
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra 2019 - support for Airplay 2 and Homekit support and .mkv videos

Hi. Planning to buy my first Roku Ultra (2019). Just wanted to ask the ff:

1.) Can or does it support Apple Airplay 2 and Homekit? I am deciding between this and an Apple TV for my HD/non 4k TV.

2) USB Port - can this play .mkv videos? 

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra 2019 - support for Airplay 2 and Homekit support and .mkv videos

@Gam2 wrote:

1.) Can or does it support Apple Airplay 2 and Homekit? I am deciding between this and an Apple TV for my HD/non 4k TV.

Roku lists the devices below as supporting streaming with AirPlay 2 (the 2019 release of the Ultra you mention is model 4670):

Device Model

Roku TV™ 

Axxxx, Cxxxx, CxxGB, 7xxxx 

Roku Streambar™

Roku Smart Soundbar 

9101, 9100 

Roku Ultra

4800, 4670, 4661, 4662, 4660, 4640 

Roku Premiere

4630, 4620, 3920 

Roku Streaming Stick®+ 

3811, 3810 

See these links for help:

Roku page re Airplay 2: https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

Helpful forum post re getting Airplay to work: https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Help-setting-up-Apple-Airplay-on...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Gam2
Reel Rookie

Thank you very much for your help.

Comparing the 2 latest ULTRA versions, do you think it is worth getting the 2020/latest model vs the 2019? Im just planning to use it mostly for Airplay (instead of getting an Apple TV), Youtube and playing movies using the USB port. 

Your thoughts?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I have three Ultra models, the 4640, 4670 and the 4800. In my opinion, the 4800 is noticeably faster to use, and also has the Dolby encoder to convert DD+ to DD if your equipment doesn't support DD+. It does have a USB port for playing media. I noticed that when it downloads an update it loads almost twice as fast as my other Ultra models. 

Note that MKV is a container, not a type of media. Yes, a Roku can play a MKV file, but only if the codecs it contains are supported. For any Ultra, that would be MPEG2 (H.262), AVC (H.264), HEVC (H.265) or MP4 video, and the audio has to be PCM, AAC (stereo only) or Dolby Digital. If your Roku is connected to an AVR that supports DTS, then that audio will bitstream as well. It cannot bitstream any lossless version of Dolby or DTS audio. I play media all the time, but it streams from my DLNA server, not from a local connected drive. That way I can transcode any unsupported video or audio. It also has the benefit of the media being available to any device on my network. A media drive connected to the Roku will only allow playing the media on that particular Roku, and nothing else can access it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.