Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aharvard94
Level 7

Roku TV Continuous Uptime Issue

Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the right area of the forums. So here's my issue - I have a Sharp Roku TV that I got a couple years ago. It works fine for the most part. no complaints. I've got it hooked up to my secured home wifi (comcast) network and I don't have any devices like my iPhone or laptop connected to it (I don't do screen mirroring, casting, etc). I watch Sling, Netflix, DirecNow, Amazon Prime and that's all.

I noticed a few weeks ago after I went into my TV's settings ->system info and clicked on the about tab (which shows my Roku account info) that the TV's uptime seems to be never-ending. I don't keep my TV on all day or anything...I'll watch it for a few hours here and there, and then I power down my tv via the power button on the TV's remote. Screen goes black, it looks "off" to me.

But then when I turn my TV back on and check out the Uptime it indicates that my TV has been running the entire time I've had it turned off. The ONLY way I can get the TV to truly "turn off" it seems and restart the uptime clock, is by doing a hard reset of the TV. 

To put this into context, it's 6:45pm right now where I am. I haven't had my TV on since about 10am earlier today. I just turned on my TV  and the uptime reads 18 hours 48mins. 

What's going on? Is something connected to my Roku that I don't know about?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku TV Continuous Uptime Issue

In the power settings, there's a fast start option under power.. make sure that it's set to off. if Fast Start is on, your TV never truly shuts off. That's how it powers up so quickly.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
aharvard94
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
In the power settings, there's a fast start option under power.. make sure that it's set to off. if Fast Start is on, your TV never truly shuts off. That's how it powers up so quickly.

That setting has always been off on my system - I am 100% sure of this. Thanks for mentioning it, since I forgot to in my initial post.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

I believe that the UPTIME you are seeing is just that. It is the time the SYSTEM has been UP, not necessarily the TV ON, since the last hard RESTART of the Roku OS. It is not the actual RUNNING TIME of your set, but the UPTIME since the last SYSTEM RESTART or if you were to have an OS UPDATE that restarts the system or a power outage that would require a restart. I remember once when looking through the secret service menus that there is a counter that tracks and reports the actual running time of your set since it was put into service and when the screen is active and ON.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos