Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jp1
Level 7

Roku TV Calibration?

Hello, I recently purchased a 55" TCL Roku TV. Overall it is a nice unit. I'm a bit thrown off by how incredibly limited the calibration settings are. Is there a secret menu to reach some settings like dynamic contrast, refresh rate, "just scan", black levels, gamma settings, etc...?

I think for the most part the tv is excellent for the price and it certainly isn't too bad with the given settings, but I'd love to be able to dial it in just a little bit.

Sidenote: Does anyone know if this tv has local dimming? Since it has a full array, I was curious.

Lastly, 120hz seems to be false advertising, I see nothing above 60hz. I guess it is some of this new "effective refresh" nonsense?
0 Kudos
23 Replies
TheEndless
Level 7

Re: Roku TV Calibration?

"jp1" wrote:
Is there a secret menu to reach some settings like dynamic contrast, refresh rate, "just scan", black levels, gamma settings, etc...?

When video is playing full screen, press the * button to get to some more advanced picture settings (a lot more than are available in the main Settings menu). They are remembered per input, so you'll need to adjust them for each.

"jp1" wrote:
Lastly, 120hz seems to be false advertising, I see nothing above 60hz. I guess it is some of this new "effective refresh" nonsense?

Precisely that... per TCL: "TCL Roku TV's use a combination of advanced signal processing and back light scanning to enhance the native refresh rate of the LCD panel (60Hz or 60 frames per second) and present an effective refresh rate (what your eye sees) of 120Hz, or 120 frames per second. This accounts for the way the TV is listed. The result is a smother (sic), blur free image, perfect for fast moving sports or video games."
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
jp1
Level 7

Thank you. I have used the "*" menu and while it offers the very basic, brightness/contrast/sharpness/color set of options, these are the base options on most sets with "advance" offering things that are nowhere to be found on this set. I would like control over enhancement features such as dynamic contrast and local dimming (assuming it has any, from the looks of it I'd say it doesnt). It seems I'm out of luck on those.

Still some compromises have to be made at this price point and it is an acceptable set even without the roku features built in, with them it is a great deal. It is definitely made better than the cheap plastic 20lb vizio that is getting rave reviews from cnet. It's so very hard to gauge picture quality in a store setting. I couldn't even score an element or emerson at this price range, so the picture being "pretty good" in my estimation is a bonus. There was a Sanyo that might have been a contender, but I've been down that road...

I figured Roku team would have put in a menu somewhere in case people actually cared about calibrating these sets for accuracy. I wonder if it is even possible with firmware updates.
0 Kudos
FX4
Level 7

The television is made by TCL, not Roku. http://www.tclusa.com/
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)
0 Kudos
jp1
Level 7

It seems likely, however, that Roku has a great deal to do with the firmware. It's an assumption, but based on the interface being nothing more than a Roku + some extras, I think it's a safe one.

The tv is great by the way, for anyone on the fence it is a real joy to use. You wouldn't think the experience is much different than having a separate Roku box, but it really is unique. Generally speaking I'm happy with the picture quality as well, but I really would like just a few more options to tweak. I'm all for keeping things simple (I know some people who REALLY need this tv in their lives) but, I would like some control over the more advance features under the hood.

I would have had to make a $150 jump in price to even score a comparable set. Significantly more to get something better in this size. Build quality was surprisingly good.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

"jp1" wrote:
I would have had to make a $150 jump in price to even score a comparable set. Significantly more to get something better in this size. Build quality was surprisingly good.

I hope you got it for the $498 price that Walmart is selling it for currently (http://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-55-55FS46 ... V/39512291). I was able to get Amazon to price match it, which is $151 less than they're currently selling it for.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
FX4
Level 7

"jp1" wrote:
It seems likely, however, that Roku has a great deal to do with the firmware. It's an assumption, but based on the interface being nothing more than a Roku + some extras, I think it's a safe one.

The tv is great by the way, for anyone on the fence it is a real joy to use. You wouldn't think the experience is much different than having a separate Roku box, but it really is unique. Generally speaking I'm happy with the picture quality as well, but I really would like just a few more options to tweak. I'm all for keeping things simple (I know some people who REALLY need this tv in their lives) but, I would like some control over the more advance features under the hood.

That is pretty unlikely, I don't know the Roku model for smart televisions but anyway you look at it they are selling manufacturer some kind of add on, whether it's code with a spec, or some kind of module to integrate in the television. It's not the television it self.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)
0 Kudos
jp1
Level 7

@TheEndless - I did indeed get it at the Walmart price. It wasn't even on the floor yet, but some nice sales guy was nice enough to bring it out and point out the similarities and bonuses compared with a different budget model I was looking at. Quite happy with it, even with the caveats.

@FX4 - I don't know, the television is basically a Roku 3 with a screen and a couple additional necessary features built in (very much integrated in traditional Roku fashion). If Roku didn't have a great deal to do with the firmware then my hat is off to the folks at TCL, because they downright nailed the integration of television and Roku. It's a far different experience than a traditional "smart tv". In fact it is a completely unique experience, even a Roku 3 hooked to a traditional set doesn't give the same feel in my opinion, due to these additional features. Yet it truly feels like a Roku product.

It's far from perfect, but if you are purchasing a 55" set for $500, I seriously doubt there is a better deal out there. The compromise vs. value is perfectly balanced, if not leaning closer to value. That extra little bit of tweaking available to the user would really set it over the top.
0 Kudos
FX4
Level 7

Sigh, no it's not. It's a TCL television with Roku integrated.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

The TV hardware is TCL. The UI design, streaming hardware and software and the remote control are Roku.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos