Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Itaintrite
Reel Rookie

Roku TV 10.5 Broke Roku Media Player

I thought it was a file not supported,but tried a few that I watched a week ago and some no longer loads. I get the loading swirly logo then it goes back to the player menu. What a **bleep** update. 

I'm running RMP on a TCL 2020 6 Series. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
TheNachoCheese
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku TV 10.5 Broke Roku Media Player

Spent a late night trying to get RMP working yesterday -- the USB drive I had used for years without problems no longer worked. It was formatted NTFS, so I wiped and reformatted as FAT32, now it works again.

I haven't seen many posts about this but I imagine something with the 10.5 update broke how Roku reads USB drives that are NTFS.

This is on a Roku 4, 4400x with 10.5 build 4201-17. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Itaintrite
Reel Rookie

Does your USB drive still read though? My problem is that it still reads and files show up correctly. It just no longer play most files, even ones that used to. 

TheNachoCheese
Binge Watcher

In my case, the Roku would recognize and read the USB if I connected the USB drive after Roku "woke up", but upon a restart or second wake-up if I kept the drive connected, it was no longer discovered by Roku. I've had the drive connected for probably 4+ years without issue before this.

Your issue is slightly different, but I just think something in 10.5 really screwed with USB storage.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I just tested RMP on my Ultra 4800. I have a USB drive connected with some high bitrate test videos, and was able to play them as expected. The 180 Mbps clip had a touch of stutter, which is expected. The 160 Mbps clip played smoothly. I tried a couple of clips from my DLNA server (so not via USB). No problems encountered there either. This is RMP version 5.5 build 12 and OS 10.5.0 build 4201.  

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TheNachoCheese
Binge Watcher

I'm starting to wonder what the difference between the builds is, i.e. 10.5 4201-XX. I've found the only way to consistently get my 4400x to fully work is to power off. Don't let it sleep -- luckily my TV's CEC works with this Roku to power it off. When the 4400x starts from a cold boot, it seems to work much better.

Bottom line is 10.5 seems pretty darn buggy, if you're not having issues count yourself one of the lucky ones.

0 Kudos
atc98092

The 4400 had design issues. It is still the only Roku that ever had an internal fan, because it ran so hot. Mine is still being used by one of my granddaughters, but it doesn't get used often, and I don't think RMP is used on it at all. 

Since the 4400 is the only 4K Roku that doesn't support HDR, I swapped it out with an Ultra when the first one was released. The 4400 also was a one off, using a processor that no Roku used before or since. My guess is they had issues with that processor, and moved to different hardware. 

Dan

TheNachoCheese
Binge Watcher

Thanks for sharing, that's great info. It's been an absolute tank with no problems for years until 10.5 came around. I do baby my electronics though, adding pads to the bottoms to elevate them for airflow, usb fans where needed, etc.

I hate that the new Ultras removed the microSD. My 2018-ish Ultras are the perfect design.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I've never put a USB card in one of mine. My 4670 has flashed on screen occasionally that one might help with seldom used channels, but it really isn't a big deal. For the latest Ultra (4800, that doesn't have the SD slot) they've increased channel storage memory from 1 GB to 4 GB, so it's really no loss. Even using a larger SD card, the Roku would only use the first 2 GB anyway. 

Dan

0 Kudos
RkkMe
Streaming Star

I can confirm that it is 10.5 that has broken Media Player. I have 3 Roku Ultra 2018/2019/2020 devices and recently updated to 10.5. Previous media files (that I play over USB) that did work now do not open. Some do, some don't. Everything worked fine prior. The problem is persistent across all three. The only workaround I have found is to not use the app and instead use a Plex server running off of my own computer. The Roku Plex app works fine. Roku Media Player is jacked up. Sucks because the only reason I went with Roku is for local USB playback combined with Media Player. I don't want the need to have my computer up to play those files. I'd rather just stick my hard drive into the Roku USB port.

0 Kudos