Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrSmith
Level 7

Roku TCL timeshift bugs

I have a TCL 55S405 with Roku 8.0.0 build 4142-30.  I have a 16GB USB flash stick that is used to pause/rewind/fastforward live TV.  

Today at 12:05PM I paused live TV and later started to follow along behind (timeshift) an NFL game.  At about 2:05PM I was watching the recorded events of 1:30PM when suddenly my live TV jumped ahead to 2:05PM without me doing anything.  Then when I attempted to rewind to 1:30PM the thumbnails would let me move back to 1:30, but as soon as I pressed OK or Play the playback would jump to 2:05PM again.

This inability to rewind before 2:05PM continues.  Even at 2:15PM, while watching 2:15PM and then rewinding to 1:45PM as soon as I press OK it jumps to 2:05PM again.

Since 2:05PM is about 2 hours after I first pressed pause I'm guessing there is a bug that is no longer doing FIFO (dropping the oldest recorded TV) but rather resetting the entire buffer after 2 hours?  Is there a work-around or fix coming?  I didn't find this bug when searching the forum, but maybe someone else has reported the same problem.
0 Kudos
15 Replies
wallydog
Level 7

Re: Roku TCL timeshift bugs

The pause has a 90 minute limit , after that I don't know what exactly happens . FIFO would be nice but I think its not that well designed . Its not a dvr .
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"DrSmith" wrote:
I have a TCL 55S405 with Roku 8.0.0 build 4142-30.  I have a 16GB USB flash stick that is used to pause/rewind/fastforward live TV.  

Today at 12:05PM I paused live TV and later started to follow along behind (timeshift) an NFL game.  At about 2:05PM I was watching the recorded events of 1:30PM when suddenly my live TV jumped ahead to 2:05PM without me doing anything.  Then when I attempted to rewind to 1:30PM the thumbnails would let me move back to 1:30, but as soon as I pressed OK or Play the playback would jump to 2:05PM again.

This inability to rewind before 2:05PM continues.  Even at 2:15PM, while watching 2:15PM and then rewinding to 1:45PM as soon as I press OK it jumps to 2:05PM again.

Since 2:05PM is about 2 hours after I first pressed pause I'm guessing there is a bug that is no longer doing FIFO (dropping the oldest recorded TV) but rather resetting the entire buffer after 2 hours?  Is there a work-around or fix coming?  I didn't find this bug when searching the forum, but maybe someone else has reported the same problem.

That is a problem with the app not the Roku. You need to contact the app developer about it.

I sometimes have a similar problem with the Sling TV app and I have contacted Sling about it and they have said that it is a known problem and they are working on it and they have no idea when a fix might be forthcoming. I have determined that it has something to do with the way the "recording" and "buffering" works on the web. I have decided that I will avoid, as much as possible, watching time-shifted programming until the event finishes.

It is not ideal but suddenly jumping to "current time" in the buffer is not only inconvenient but often the score is on the screen and the match being watched is spoiled. 

I wish I could blame Roku but I encounter the same problem on my Fire TV and my Shield TV so the fault lies with the method being used to buffer and store the stream by the app developer so the fix for the problem can only come from the app developer or the third party tah is being used to buffer/record the stream.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
wallydog
Level 7

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"DrSmith" wrote:

That is a problem with the app not the Roku. You need to contact the app developer about it.

I sometimes have a similar problem with the Sling TV app and I have contacted Sling about it and they have said that it is a known problem and they are working on it and they have no idea when a fix might be forthcoming. I have determined that it has something to do with the way the "recording" and "buffering" works on the web. I have decided that I will avoid, as much as possible, watching time-shifted programming until the event finishes.

It is not ideal but suddenly jumping to "current time" in the buffer is not only inconvenient but often the score is on the screen and the match being watched is spoiled. 

I wish I could blame Roku but I encounter the same problem on my Fire TV and my Shield TV so the fault lies with the method being used to buffer and store the stream by the app developer so the fix for the problem can only come from the app developer or the third party tah is being used to buffer/record the stream.

There is no app involved , he's talking about TCL Roku tv's ability to pause live ota tv .
0 Kudos
DrSmith
Level 7

"wallydog" wrote:
The pause has a 90 minute limit , after that I don't know what exactly happens . FIFO would be nice but I think its not that well designed . Its not a dvr .

Roku's "how to" article says that "After being paused for 90 minutes, playback begins automatically."  I think FIFO is the obvious designed behavior here.  It does not say it "jumps to live TV after 90 minutes"  Also, the residual thumbnails would go away, if they really jumped ahead to live when the buffer fills.  I should not be able to rewind via thumbnail, when no history buffer exists.
0 Kudos

I am seeing this exact same behavior, and it occurs well before it has been paused for 90 minutes. I also see cases where the screen just goes blank for a second or two, and then begins playing live tv even when it hasn't been paused. It is not a signal issue or anything like that, and I'm guessing that there's a bug in the new SmartGuide that came in OS8. I never had the problem before the update.
0 Kudos

Have you had any luck with a fix for this, or are you still experiencing the problem? Haven't had a lot of feedback on this issue.
0 Kudos
DrSmith
Level 7

I may try a larger flash drive (64GB) instead of my current 16GB in case the failure has something to do with filling the drive.  But I honestly only timeshift when I'm watching one NFL football game per week so I will rarely see this bug.  Everything else I watch is full record and later playback.  The lack of response from Roku support is a little disappointing though.  Seems like a pretty obvious bug and if they aren't going to announce a fix soon we should be allowed to go back to version 7.7.  I don't want to fight this problem through playoffs and the superbowl.
0 Kudos
DrSmith
Level 7

And whammo!  It just happened again today.  I was watching the buffered OTA TV events of 2:27PM when suddenly, without any remote input my viewing lurched ahead to 2:42PM.  Any attempt to rewind before 2:42PM still jumps back to 2:42PM.  I initially paused liveTV at about 12:30PM and have been chasing an NFL game since then.  So a little over 2 hours of total buffer usage on a single channel when this occurs.  Do you suppose this is when my 16GB of storage fills?  It sure would be nice if Roku support could chime in.  Have they made any effort to reproduce this bug?  Does TCL test this feature or does Roku test this feature before every release?  Do you test with 16GB flash, or something larger?
Thanks for ANY help at all!  Can I please, please revert to 7.7 until this bug is fixed?
0 Kudos
DrSmith
Level 7

Rather than try the same thing again and expect different results... This week I replaced the 16GB USB flash drive with a 32GB USB flash drive.  I timeshifted and chased an NFL game for about 4 hours without any noticeable errors.  It never incorrectly jumped ahead to live TV.  I was able to rewind while viewing the later stages of the game.  So, in my case it appears this bug is related to the 16GB card.
0 Kudos