Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Re: Roku TCL TV vs. Roku Ultra

The current Apple TV 4k has gigabit and the fire tv cube might.  There are gigabit adapters for some of the other fire devices but the USB bus would limit it to 400Mb or so.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@lesmikesell wrote:

The current Apple TV 4k has gigabit and the fire tv cube might.  There are gigabit adapters for some of the other fire devices but the USB bus would limit it to 400Mb or so.

That's good to know about the ATV. No, there is no Fire TV with Gigabit. As you say, it might be possible to use a USB network adapter, but that's not something supported officially. But that USB bus limitation is still high enough that ripped UHD movies would play fine, assuming the Fire TV processor can handle the bitrate. Most likely it can. Of course, none of them support lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio). 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
JustDan
Binge Watcher

@atc98092 wrote:

@bjsalter wrote:

Thank you! I am going to be connecting both of them to a Sonos Arc, so sound quality speaker-wise is the same. Was just wondering about actual sound processing, if there is even a difference. But it seems like its more about the source (Netflix, Sling, etc) than the device. That's probably true to video source as well? I will try them both and see if there is a difference I guess! Thanks!

Roku does offer some sound processing, but it differs between players and Roku TVs. Most have some sort of volume leveling, but it forces all audio to two channel only, no 5.1. There might also be some settings on the TV for dialog enhancement, and so forth. When using outboard audio, they should all just be left off. And then yes, it's up to the source to provide quality audio. 

It might seem misleading to say there is no 5.1

While the TV only has two speakers it can output 5.1 to a receiver or Roku’s available 5.1 setup or to a sound bar or wireless speakers (also sold by Roku). 

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

@JustDan wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@bjsalter wrote:

Thank you! I am going to be connecting both of them to a Sonos Arc, so sound quality speaker-wise is the same. Was just wondering about actual sound processing, if there is even a difference. But it seems like its more about the source (Netflix, Sling, etc) than the device. That's probably true to video source as well? I will try them both and see if there is a difference I guess! Thanks!

Roku does offer some sound processing, but it differs between players and Roku TVs. Most have some sort of volume leveling, but it forces all audio to two channel only, no 5.1. There might also be some settings on the TV for dialog enhancement, and so forth. When using outboard audio, they should all just be left off. And then yes, it's up to the source to provide quality audio. 

It might seem misleading to say there is no 5.1

While the TV only has two speakers it can output 5.1 to a receiver or Roku’s available 5.1 setup or to a sound bar or wireless speakers (also sold by Roku). 

I think that meant that _if_ you enable sound leveling it will force audio to be stereo PCM even if 5.1 is available in the source.    That is, the processing does not decode/re-encode Dolby digital where the volume would be encoded somewhere in the stream and not easily modified like PCM.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@JustDan 

What @lesmikesell said. It's the sound processing that disable 5.1 audio and forces everything to stereo. Leave all sound processing (volume leveling, TruSound, etc.) off, and the Roku and or Roku TV is processing 5.1 audio. If the audio is sent out via ARC or optical to a soundbar or AVR, 5.1 audio can be processed. But if sound processing is enabled, it will only send out 2 channel stereo. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
JustDan
Binge Watcher

@atc98092 wrote:

@JustDan 

What @lesmikesell said. It's the sound processing that disable 5.1 audio and forces everything to stereo. Leave all sound processing (volume leveling, TruSound, etc.) off, and the Roku and or Roku TV is processing 5.1 audio. If the audio is sent out via ARC or optical to a soundbar or AVR, 5.1 audio can be processed. But if sound processing is enabled, it will only send out 2 channel stereo. 

Thanks for clearing up!

0 Kudos
JustDan
Binge Watcher

@atc98092 wrote:

@JustDan 

Thanks for clearing up!

0 Kudos
gmason
Reel Rookie

Unlikely you'll see this being your post is old. For any others interested, TV's with the installed Roku will be inferior to the Roku Ultra box system. I found this on tech page 3yrs back. The reasoning is that the TV such as TCL will not continue to update older models sitting n someones home. Even from the start any updates will lag far behind the boxed Roku

When Roku has an update it sends it out directly to your box if it's plugged in. Roku itself doesn't update your Roku TV. To clarify a bit above, in time the actual TV manufacturer will stop updating the system on your TV. They make no money updating. They'd rather put the $$$ into new TV's and technology. I still have my TCL and kept it simply being I want to get my money out of it before purchasing another TV. I also found that the Roku installed on the TV seems to interfere somehow with my Roku Ultra box.... I lose my original Roku screen and operating system. I have to go back and reinstall it.   

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@gmason  you are completely and totally incorrect. Also it is against this community to bring up posts older than 6 months. I have 2 TCL Roku TV's. TCL Roku TV's come in many sizes and series. Some are cheap some are expensive. Just like Roku offers the cheaper Express and the more expensive Ultra. I have a 32" TCL Roku TV my bedroom. It is 3 years old and still gets updates. The updates come from straight from Roku. My 65" TCL Roku TV was a higher end model. It is a 4K HDR model and it gets updates from Roku. 

0 Kudos
JustDan
Binge Watcher

Thanks for answering!

still enjoying my Ultra!

0 Kudos