Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjsalter
Reel Rookie

Roku TCL TV vs. Roku Ultra

I have a new TCL TV with Roku and a Roku Ultra, so I am curious if there are significant differences between the two? I plan on plugging directly to either device for internet (faster than wifi?), so are there other major differences in functionality? Video quality? Processor speed? Thanks!

0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TCL TV vs. Roku Ultra

In theory WiFi is capable of faster speeds than the Ethernet jack. The jack is 100 Mbps max, while 802.11ac is (again theoretically) capable of more than a Gigabit. However, my personal experience hasn't worked out that way, with a wired connection still being better. But others have reported their wireless connection exceeding 100 Mbps.

I'm assuming your TCL is a large screen 4K TV. If so, it's likely very similar to the Ultra in general performance. But you have to remember that Roku doesn't make/supply any of the hardware in the TV, so it's certainly possible that one or the other has more performance. The TCL might support Dolby Vision, where your current Ultra does not (the new Ultra available next week will support DV). 

However, would any difference be noticeable with the usual Internet streaming providers? Probably very little if at all. Nothing online streams at a rate higher than the low 20s Mbps, if that. Netflix maxes out at 16 Mbps. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
bjsalter
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the help! Interesting about the wifi vs. wired... I guess I would have to do a speed test to figure it out? Using a Google Wifi with Fios.

My TV is a 65 inch 4K, bought it a couple months ago. I think it only supports Dolby Digital/Digital Plus with a HDMI Arc port.

0 Kudos
djacobson
Reel Rookie

The main difference that would occur to me is that your Roku TCL TV would be able to integrate OTA channels from its antenna + tuner, where your separate Roku Ultra would not be able to do that.

bjsalter
Reel Rookie

Thank you, great call on that. Still wondering about the processing of video and sound quality. Do you know anything about that specifically? It seems the wifi vs. wired doesn't really have a solid answer.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@bjsalter wrote:

Thank you, great call on that. Still wondering about the processing of video and sound quality. Do you know anything about that specifically? It seems the wifi vs. wired doesn't really have a solid answer.

Sound quality can't really be compared, since the TV has audio built in and the Ultra does not. But if you run them both through an external AVR, there really should be no difference. 

Video quality too is a tough comparison. The TCL TV has what it has, while the Ultra can be connected to hundreds upon hundreds of different displays. The Ultra will only look as good as the display that is connected. Both the Ultra and the TCL TV will be upscaling any content that isn't at the native resolution of the connected display. I've never really looked at or compared the video quality on a TCL TV, but they do seem to be highly regarded by professional reviewers. I've had my Ultras (4640 and 4670) connected to both Samsung and LG TVs. Right now the 4640 is connected to the same LG TV as my 2019 Shield, and both look outstanding on it. 

Dan

bjsalter
Reel Rookie

Thank you! I am going to be connecting both of them to a Sonos Arc, so sound quality speaker-wise is the same. Was just wondering about actual sound processing, if there is even a difference. But it seems like its more about the source (Netflix, Sling, etc) than the device. That's probably true to video source as well? I will try them both and see if there is a difference I guess! Thanks!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@bjsalter wrote:

Thank you! I am going to be connecting both of them to a Sonos Arc, so sound quality speaker-wise is the same. Was just wondering about actual sound processing, if there is even a difference. But it seems like its more about the source (Netflix, Sling, etc) than the device. That's probably true to video source as well? I will try them both and see if there is a difference I guess! Thanks!

Roku does offer some sound processing, but it differs between players and Roku TVs. Most have some sort of volume leveling, but it forces all audio to two channel only, no 5.1. There might also be some settings on the TV for dialog enhancement, and so forth. When using outboard audio, they should all just be left off. And then yes, it's up to the source to provide quality audio. 

Dan

Re:  Level 21 reply.  Ethernet  jacks are not limited to 100mb, only the older ones.  Newer routers and switches are capable of gigabit speeds.  As such, most newer ethernet jacks are USUALLY faster than the wi-fi.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@RetiredVagabond wrote:

Re:  Level 21 reply.  Ethernet  jacks are not limited to 100mb, only the older ones.  Newer routers and switches are capable of gigabit speeds.  As such, most newer ethernet jacks are USUALLY faster than the wi-fi.

Ethernet jacks on Roku devices are only Fast Ethernet, 100 Mbps. Roku does not offer Gigabit Ethernet on any device. I don't know of any TVs with Gigabit either. Fire TV and Apple TV devices also are limited to 100 Mbps. It doesn't matter if the network is Gigabit. The device has to support it as well. For streaming players, the Nvidia Shield is the only device I know of with Gigabit. 

Dan