Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Streaming Stick+

Jump to solution

HI, thinking of buying the roku stick+ and would like to know if it is DLNA compliant to I can find the videos on my PC and play them thru the streaming stick.  Is this possible?  If not, what other ROKU product does this?

I am looking for a device that can play videos from my PC and at the same time stream from netflix and prime, etc

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Roku Streaming Stick+

Jump to solution

@avrionis wrote:

Hi, did I make an error.  I can see that the Roku Streaming Media Player supports DLNA.... 

But I went ahead and bought the Roku Streaming Stick+, does the stick also support DLNA ?

Actually, What is the real difference between the Roku Streaming Stick+ & Roku Streaming Media Player ? in a few words....Dont send me links so I can compare.

Thanks

There's no operational difference between a Stick and a player. They are just different form factors. The Stick is designed to be able to plug directly into the back of a TV without a cable, while a player needs an HDMI cable. But as far as how they work, they both work the same. Yes, the Stick supports DLNA the same as a player does. One advantage of the Stick is that it comes with the WiFi Direct remote, so direct line of sight isn't needed to use the remote. Most (but not all) other Roku players come with an IR remote. 

The Streaming Stick+ has an stronger WiFi antenna that's part of the power cord, so in theory it should have better wireless performance. Only the Roku Ultra has a wired Ethernet port, but in theory Roku devices should be able to connect faster via WiFi. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@avrionis wrote:

HI, thinking of buying the roku stick+ and would like to know if it is DLNA compliant to I can find the videos on my PC and play them thru the streaming stick.  Is this possible?  If not, what other ROKU product does this?

I am looking for a device that can play videos from my PC and at the same time stream from netflix and prime, etc

All Roku devices support playback over DLNA. Simply install the Roku Media Player channel. 

However, be aware that Roku has limited media support. If your media isn't compliant, your DLNA server needs to transcode the codecs into something the Roku supports. If you were intending to use the DLNA server built into Windows 10, be aware it does little transcoding. I always recommend someone use a separate DLNA product. My personal favorite is Serviio, but there are a number of others, both free and paid. Disclaimer: I don't work for Serviio, but I am the author of the Roku profiles included with the server, and a moderator on their forum.

There are also several non-DLNA type servers that offer a Roku channel for playback. The most popular is Plex, followed closely by Emby. Both can also output via DLNA, for playback on players that don't have an available app. These have an advantage over DLNA in that they support captions for most media, while the Roku Media Player has support for only some types of captions. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi, did I make an error.  I can see that the Roku Streaming Media Player supports DLNA.... 

But I went ahead and bought the Roku Streaming Stick+, does the stick also support DLNA ?

Actually, What is the real difference between the Roku Streaming Stick+ & Roku Streaming Media Player ? in a few words....Dont send me links so I can compare.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@avrionis wrote:

Thanks

There's no operational difference between a Stick and a player. They are just different form factors. The Stick is designed to be able to plug directly into the back of a TV without a cable, while a player needs an HDMI cable. But as far as how they work, they both work the same. Yes, the Stick supports DLNA the same as a player does. One advantage of the Stick is that it comes with the WiFi Direct remote, so direct line of sight isn't needed to use the remote. Most (but not all) other Roku players come with an IR remote. 

The Streaming Stick+ has an stronger WiFi antenna that's part of the power cord, so in theory it should have better wireless performance. Only the Roku Ultra has a wired Ethernet port, but in theory Roku devices should be able to connect faster via WiFi. 

Dan

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Perfect response.  Appreciate it.

0 Kudos