Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rob8922

Roku Streaming Stick starting overheating after installing the latest upgrade

I've been using my Roku Streaming Stick model 3810x for over a year now without any problems. But since installing the latest software upgrade 11.0 - build 4184-50 I've been getting overheating error message

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Streaming Stick starting overheating after installing the latest upgrade

The 3810 is an older model. Roku OS 11 would not cause the issue. It could just be your Roku has an internal failure. Try doing a factory reset

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Streaming Stick starting overheating after installing the latest upgrade

Hey @rob8922

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

We would recommend trying first the suggestions available in this Support link: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message. If the issue persists, please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@rob8922 

Sometimes it is a coincidence when an issue develops and it coincides with an OS update.  Other times, it is not.  

Are you using the HDMI extender available for free from Roku (https://my.roku.com/hdmi#!) that will help to give you a little more distance from the heat of your TV.  You can also just make these yourself.  Just place it between the TV and the Streaming Stick. (These may be currently backordered as other cables so may just have to purchase in-store or online - just a female and male HDMI connector cable.)  Looks like these cables.

Some users have also reported using the power adapter directly plugged into wall helps in some situations if you are currently plugged into the TV's power USB port.

---

Edited... See that @RokuKariza-D is currently helping you. 👍

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos