Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick remote fails after new system update

Jump to solution

Our Roku Streaming stick was updated with a new system this evening.

After the update, the volume control stopped working on the stick, then the channels stopped opening - they just hang.  Rebooted the stick multiple times.

What the **bleep** is going on?

We have a Roku streaming stick, Model 3800X,
Device ID CT388E419832,
The new build version is: 9.3.0 build 4143-55

Thanks.

Roku Streaming Stick (3800 series) 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Roku Streaming Stick fails after new system update

Jump to solution

After the reboot, don't touch anything or use the system for about 10 minutes. Do a reboot, then wait another 10 minutes. Can you now use the system without lags or issues?

The TV volume setting on the remote gets reset with the update. You'll have to set it again.

Settings -> Remotes & devices -> Remotes -> Remote (In use) -> Set up remote for TV control

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

After the reboot, don't touch anything or use the system for about 10 minutes. Do a reboot, then wait another 10 minutes. Can you now use the system without lags or issues?

The TV volume setting on the remote gets reset with the update. You'll have to set it again.

Settings -> Remotes & devices -> Remotes -> Remote (In use) -> Set up remote for TV control

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you!!! Seems like Roku could have told us this. Phew!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks.

This eventually resolved the issue, although I had to delete and readd a few of the Channels (log in again etc).

What a **bleep** update. Who expects to have to go through those procedures each time they roll out new software for the device.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ridiculous answer!

On our older Roku streaming stick Radio.com works fine.  On our newer Roku streaming stick + (4K) it worked fine until the Roku "update" dated May 7, 2020.

This is clearly a Roku update issue judging from the numerous complaints.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hey Roku, stop the nonsense!

Our older Roku streaming stick that was installed in Sept 2019, loads and plays the Radio.com channel just fine.

Our newer Roku streaming stick + (4K) that was installed in March 2020, loaded and played the Radio.com channel fine until the Roku update of May 7, 2020.

Just admit that this is a Roku update issue and stop telling users to "remove the channel, reinstall the channel etc., etc., etc.  When you have this many complaints about issues after an update. it would seem clear that the issue lies with Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

What  happened on that 5/7/20 update?  I have a streaming stick was that flawless for  years.  Suddenly it blacks out and beeps like the remote is hitting it and goes back to home page.  Hard to get past 20 minutes on any channel so it's not related to one over the other.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Exact same thing here. This is ridiculous. Bought my 1st Roku about 6 months ago and I loved it. Got rid of my cable and was telling all my friends to get a Roku. **bleep**, even bought one for my girlfriend.

Now, I'm having the same issues. Read on the community that my device was probably defective so I went out and bought ANOTHER one. Boy, do I feel stupid. Same problem with this one and I can't even contact customer service because I bought the Express model. I never heard of a company that never offered support for ALL their products. Can anyone tell me if Roku monitors these post? Or has anyone ACTUALLY been able to contact customer support about this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@MT60 @HD3699 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue that you are experiencing? What troubleshooting steps have you done to try to resolve the issue?

As a last resort have you tried performing a factory reset on the device to see if that resolves the issue? For more information about how to perform a factory reset on your device, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you, I can be watching a show on Hulu,Netflix, etc. and everything's fine until I decide to rewind or pause on Netflix. Or change channels on Hulu (these are just a few examples). Basically, once I decide to change anything, my Roku just reboots. 

After reading numerous blogs on this topic, yes, I've updated EVERYTHING on my Roku. Even did a hard reboot. Wiped everything off and reinstalled all my apps.

I read on here that it has to do with the new 9.3.0 software but I don't know if that's true. It makes sense due to the fact that after purchasing my 1st Roku, it worked fine for approximately 2 months.

0 Kudos