Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Polkymom

Roku Stick stopped working after Vizio tv update

My Vizio Tv had an update.  Ever since, my Roku stick will not work.  It is the type that gets its power via a usb that also plugs into the tv. Tv shows "No signal".  I have unplugged everything including the tv, let them sit a bit then plugged everything back in.  Roku stick does not work on the other tv either.    

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Stick stopped working after Vizio tv update

Try using the supplied USB power adapter instead of the TV's USB port.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Stick stopped working after Vizio tv update

@Polkymom--

Expanding on @renojim's reply, a couple of points relating to using the TV's USB port as the power source:

• If the USB port powers down with the tv, as most do, that means the Roku has to startup every time you turn on the tv.  During the TV's startup process it checks the HDMI ports to see what's connected.  If the tv powers up before the Roku has started up to the point it can respond to the HDMI check, the tv will not realize there is anything connected to that HDMI port, resulting in a "no signal" report.  If this is a new problem, it could be that a tv update caused the tv to start up quicker than before, or a Roku update caused it to start up slower than before, or both.

If the above is really the cause of the problem, as a work-around, try switching your tv to a different input then back to the HDMI port to which the Roku is connected.  This will force a new check of the port and the Roku signal will be displayed.

• The USB ports on some televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably. A Roku connected this way often appears to start up normally, but if it runs into an activity that requires more power than the USB port can deliver, something will fail, commonly taking you back to the Roku home screen. Again, if this is a new problem, it could be caused by an update to the channel, the tv, or Roku software that causes the Roku to require more power than before from a USB port that was barely adequate to begin with.

The permanent solution in either case is to power the Roku, not from the TV's USB port, but from house power via the USB power adapter that came with the Roku.  If you don't have the Roku adapter handy, any other you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos