Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Roku Settings - Screen Mirroring Options

I really hope someone who works for Roku reads this and takes what I have to say seriously and doesn't simply mark my post as "spam" and then delete it before it ever shows up in the forum like what happened last time I complained about this very real bug in the Roku firmware.

There is a major problem when it comes to the "Screen Mirroring" options in the Roku settings. Anyone can cast videos from tablets and cellphones in my house to my Roku without my permission. There is an option that is supposed to prevent this behavior but it does not work at all.

If you got to Settings and then "Screen Mirroring" you get a list of three options on how to deal with this behavior. "Prompt", "Always Allow" and "Never Allow" casting of videos to your Roku player.

However, it does not matter which of these three options you select because nothing is ever blocked and you never get a prompt when someone is trying to cast to your Roku, you simply get booted out of any video you are watching in any Roku app and then youtube just loads and starts playing the video sent by the offending phone or tablet.

So basically I have no control over my own Roku because anyone with a phone or tablet connected to my router can accidentally or intentionally at any time they want cast videos from their devices and it will just hijack my Roku without permission, because my Roku shows up on their list of connected devices.

To the programmers that design the Roku software who set up the "Screen Mirroring" options, why does "Prompt" and "Never Allow" not do what they are supposed to do? Why has this error gone on so long without anyone giving it attention? Can someone please fix this? This is an unacceptable bug that can't be allowed to continue, this is a total security breach because anyone can just force their way into my Roku remotely and start playing whatever videos they want while overriding me on my own player.

The people at Chrome don't care about this, I read messages of users complaining going back a couple of years about no option to disable the casting button which pops up over videos to prevent accidental casting of unwanted videos to TV's and streaming players. But all the people from Chrome say is that the feature is part of the app and can't be shut off which is insane! But even if Chrome did allow the button to be turned off it still doesn't solve this issue with Roku.

To allow another device from another company to have more control over my own Roku than I do is absolutely ludicrous. This is a huge mistake by the Roku programmers and a Roku firmware update needs to be created to fix this issue at once. Please take this complaint seriously and look into fixing this as soon as possible. Roku is a great product and something like this should not have to be a concern for loyal customers who purchased a Roku and just want to watch their videos in peace.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku Settings - Screen Mirroring Options

What model Roku is doing that for you? When I screen mirror my Windows 10 laptop to my Ultra 4640, the prompt always appears on screen, and it will not connect until I accept. When I select Cast from my Chrome browser on the same computer, it shows my Roku devices but all are listed as an unsupported device. 

I don't have any Android devices, so I can't test anything there. My iOS devices can't cast to Roku either. I just tried the laptop again while I was using my Shield on the same TV. The CEC function didn't even trigger the AVR to switch to the Roku input, so I had to use the remote to switch. It was waiting for me to accept the screen cast, as always.

Now, the Roku app on my phone can take control of the player without any prompting. But that is based on Device Connect, not screen mirroring, and there's no prompt for that section. According to the help screen on the player, Device Connect has be be enabled for Screen MIrroring to work, but the Screen Mirroring settings are of course in a different menu.

Is there any chance you have any devices "whitelisted" in the Always Allow section of screen mirroring?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Thank you for replying, It does this on all of my Roku players. I have two Roku Ultras, two Roku HDs and one Roku 2. I don't even think the old Roku HD's have the Device Connect option but they still show up in Chrome to cast to on my PC and phones and tablets and these can all hijack my Roku remotely without permission.

And if I remember right you need to have the Device Connect option enabled on the Roku Ultras in order to use the voice remote that comes with it so turning that off isn't an option. I don't have anything whitelisted or blacklisted in the screen mirroring section and I have no idea how to even add stuff to those lists if I wanted to so that can't be it. And I always have Screen Mirroring set on "Never Allow" but as I said before this doesn't stop my Roku from being taken over remotely.

I just don't understand how this behavior is allowed and why there isn't a way to set a complete block from anything that tries to control your Roku other than your designated remote control.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have a TLC 65" Roku TV, and I live in a home and my neighbor's son keeps casting to my Roku.   I can be watching my Frontier Communication Cable and it will take over my TV, switch it to Roku, and cast from "Andrew's IPAD PRO".  He is not on my Network, and I have a very strong WiFi password.  I agree strongly that Roku needs to fix this issue at once.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Level 21

@Frustrated9 wrote:

I have a TLC 65" Roku TV, and I live in a home and my neighbor's son keeps casting to my Roku.   I can be watching my Frontier Communication Cable and it will take over my TV, switch it to Roku, and cast from "Andrew's IPAD PRO".  He is not on my Network, and I have a very strong WiFi password.  I agree strongly that Roku needs to fix this issue at once.

Thank you.

While it's only a workaround, you can disable screen mirroring on the Roku to stop that. But if he's able to do that, somehow he's on your network. Your Roku isn't visible to another device if it's not on the same network. It potentially sounds like something with your Frontier connection that is permitting him into your network. I have zero knowledge about how that might work, though. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos