Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grandmike
Reel Rookie

Roku Search Does Not Generate Complete Results

I recently searched ROKU for "An Angel at my Table". The search reported 3 channels with the movie for rent. I later accidentally learned that this movie was available for free on The Criterion channel. The minimal rental fee is certainly not prohibitive, but it smacks of collusion with the renting channels.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Search Does Not Generate Complete Results

@Grandmike no, it's that not all channels participate in permitting Roku Search to access their channel. No collusion involved. Roku can only show you the ones that permit Search to access their information.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Grandmike 

The movie "An Angel at my Table" really isn't free on the Criterion Channel.  The Criterion Channel is offering a 14-day free trial so you certainly could watch it for free, if you remember to cancel before the 14 days is up.  Otherwise that movie will cost you $10.99.

Just a heads up to make sure you read the terms and fine print of these different Channels.  Under the Roku Search (at least on mine), it did show playing on Criterion Channel - "Requires Subscription".   Usually, but not always, that means a monthly subscription fee.

Sometimes, though, these Subscitption channels will provide you some free content as well as paid content.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Grandmike
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the feedback, criterion does allow search to access its content in my experience and I am subscribed to Criterion

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Grandmike 

Then yes, free for you since you are subscribed.

Surprised then that this does not show under you home screen Roku Search feature.  (I saw this movie being available on Criterion (first in list), HBO Max, AppleTV, and Prime Video).

---

Now, Roku 11 OS is supposed to be introducing a newer Search feature called "What's On" to the home screen.  Not sure when and in what build so may not be immediately available.  I have been finding that using Roku's "What's On" feature from their website has been giving me additional/better results over my device Search feature.  However, not in this case, both showed me the four channels.

Here is link to Roku's What's On (located under What to Watch on their Home page).  This will at least give you a preview what the devices will eventually get I assume. (https://www.roku.com/whats-on)  Scroll down to see/use the Search bar.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@Grandmike  I never tend to use Roku search. If you really want to know how to watch something then use Just Watch online

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/an-angel-at-my-table

0 Kudos