Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AtomicWaffle
Level 7

Roku Search Does Not Generate Complete Results

I'm finding when I do a search on the Roku, it doesn't provide complete results. For instance, I searched for the comedian 'Jim Gaffigan'. It pulls up a lot of his stuff, but totally misses his stand-up routines on Netflix. Now, if I do a search for 'Jim Gaffigan Netflix', then it shows his stand up specials on Netflix. But we shouldn't have to specify that, right? When you perform a seach on Roku, it's supposed to search all available services and tell you where to watch it. Thing is, I'd like to give a Roku to my aging father, who is not tech-savvy. The search should really be bullet-proof so that anybody can find what they are looking for. Clearly, the information has been made available to Roku, otherwise why would it be pulled up with a Netflix specific search? I would just like Roku to make sure it's search results are complete, without having to specify 'Netflix' or 'Hulu' or 'Amazon' after the search topic.

Also, I would like Roku to be able to complete a vocal search from within an app. I can do this on Apple TV, and it's a great feature. (Mind you, the Apple Siri remote is pretty horrible in my book, which is why I want to give my Pop a Roku.)
4 Replies
MemyselfandI
Level 8

Re: Roku Search Does Not Generate Complete Results

I’m experiencing the same problem and quite upset about it! I bought the Roku Ultra instead of an Apple TV device based on the features like the search. I too want to give this to an older relative to make life simple. I’m so upset that after calling Roku support, they did their best to pass the blame. This is a faulty Roku search defect. If it is not corrected ASAP, I’m going to return for a product that works as well as let everyone I know as well that it doesn’t work as advertised.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Roku Search only works with channels that permit the search to access their information. Real world, not very many allow that access, so the Search cannot offer any results from them. It's not something Roku can change. The channel provider has to permit it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
MemyselfandI
Level 8

In this particular use case that doesn’t apply. For example, I’m a subscriber of Vudu, Prime Video, Netflix, among others. I own videos I purchased.

EXAMPLE: A search of a movie I own on a channel came up as “Free”, however, a search of 15 other movies I own on that same channel and Roku Ultra search results did not give the search result as “Free.”

So this inconsistency in search results is not a channel provider issue but rather a Roku issue. It’s not customer-centric to shift the blame of a Roku issue on channels/content providers when the inconsistency shows it’s a Roku issue. Own the problem and fix it ASAP or lose customers.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I own nothing, because I'm just another user like yourself. Sorry if I didn't totally understand the problem. The Roku forum admins will be online tomorrow, so hopefully they can offer something further. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos