Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Premiere turns on Vizio TV in the middle of the night by itself

I have a new Roku Premiere model 3920X with updated software (9.2.0 build 4806-91) and a Vizio TV that's about 2-3 years old. The Roku has turned the TV on in the middle of the night every night we've had it so far, and it's quite annoying. 

I have tried disabling 1-touch play in Settings/System/Control other devices, but the Roku still turns the TV on. Anyone having trouble with this or figured out a way around it?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Premiere turns on Vizio TV in the middle of the night by itself

I have a Roku Ultra connected to a Vizio M558-G1 via HDMI. CEC on the TV has been disabled along with HDMI control on the Roku. I also have a Sony Bluray (HDMI) with HDMI control disabled connected along with a Klipsch soundbar connected via optical.

Everything works great together except that the Vizio turns on by itself at random times.

I called Vizio tech support and they were clueless, literally. They sent out a new TV to replace the first one but the TV was 'lost' by the shipping company from their loading dock. I suspect that someone that works on that dock now has a new TV at home.

I ended up getting a replacement from Best Buy, where the TV was purchased. Guess what? The new TV also turns itself on.

What gives? I thought that perhaps the Roku's screen saver might be the culprit. I changed the aquatic theme to the Roku logo screen yesterday. Let's see if that makes any difference, so far so good.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So much for that idea. After changing the Roku's screen saver I was hoping that this might solve the problem. Nope, the TV turned itself on again yesterday. 

I've now disconnected the Sony Bluray from the TV. Let's see if that changes anything. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Maybe a shot in the dark, but I had a new Vizio TV and it started up by itself. I called Vizio and they told me that the TV had gotten an OTA update and rebooted itself. It hasn't happened again, so maybe Vizio fixed that feature for updates. With a new TV, they said it would get some updates to current.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks KarmanRo65!

I hadn't thought of the possibility that the TV might have been updating and that's what cause it to power up. It's happened several times and not just over night either. I was standing right next to the TV when it turned on at 7am, it did that twice in a row on two consecutive days skipped one day and turned on at 7am on the third day.

I still could be updating that turns the thing on though. It hasn't done it lately so we'll see.

Conrad  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

I had a Samsung Blu ray player that did the same thing (caused my Samsung TV to turn on randomly). Replacing it with a Sony BD player stopped the issue. I have no doubt it's the CEC control function causing it. Besides disabling One-Touch on the Roku, you might try disabling CEC on the TV as well. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

atc98092,

Thanks for your reply. Please see the first section of my first post in this thread. 

"I have a Roku Ultra connected to a Vizio M558-G1 via HDMI. CEC on the TV has been disabled along with HDMI control on the Roku. I also have a Sony Bluray (HDMI) with HDMI control disabled connected along with a Klipsch soundbar connected via optical."

Conrad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@-Conrad wrote:

atc98092,

Thanks for your reply. Please see the first section of my first post in this thread. 

"I have a Roku Ultra connected to a Vizio M558-G1 via HDMI. CEC on the TV has been disabled along with HDMI control on the Roku. I also have a Sony Bluray (HDMI) with HDMI control disabled connected along with a Klipsch soundbar connected via optical."

Sorry, I missed that. Sounds like it's something other than CEC then. I do have a small Vizio TV with a Premiere connected, and it's never done that. But obviously not the same model TV. 

Just out of curiosity, have you tried unplugging the Premiere overnight (either power or HDMI) to see if the TV is still coming on? Just trying to eliminate possible causes. And the idea of a software update sounds plausible, but it's unlikely Vizio is releasing updates that often. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I've outlined all my efforts in the posts above. I'm still at the 'Sony Bluray unplugged' stage. I unplugged the Sony's HDMI cable from the back of the Vizio and so far the TV has not turned on by itself. It's only been a few days though, the record so far for not turning on by itself is ~10 days.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

New Vizio TV connected to Roku Ultra turns on by itself

Vizio TV Model PX65-G1 turns on by itself. Vizio blames devices connected by HDMI, of which my Roku Ultra is the only one, and suggests either switching to an unused input each time I want to power down or disabling CEC, which means the Roku remote will no longer turn the TV on and off, which is an inconvenience.

Roku: is it true that your Ultra box is outputting a signal that is telling my Vizio TV to wake up? Can you fix this? Or is there another explanation?

0 Kudos