Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoyaleWithChees
Level 7

Roku Premier on an older Roku TV

I've been happy with my Roku TVs but one thought that lingered in the back of my mind was what happens when I can't get the latest feature upgrades because of inevitable hardware obsolescence. I can't simply replace the Roku streamer because it's built into the TV. Unfortunately, I have now gotten to this point with a few of my Roku TVs. I was so excited when I heard Roku finally implemented Airplay 2, but was bummed out that only one of my Roku TVs will be getting this feature. 

I should be able to get this feature by using the Roku Premier. My question is, how would my older Roku TVs work with the new Roku Premier. It seems like it might be overly convoluted. Two Roku devices for the same tv in my Roku app. How would the IR remote work with the tv and and the premier?  Won't they both respond to button presses from the same remote? Or did Roku come up with a way where the new roku device simply replaces the built in Roku OS (wishful thinking)?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku Premier on an older Roku TV

Using a Roku player on a Roku TV only has one issue, which you have identified. The remotes are almost identical, so you might confuse one with the other. And if one isn't a WiFi direct remote you could have issues trying to control one or the other. I used an Ultra on a Roku TV without issue because the Ultra has the WiFi remote. The Premiere doesn't come with a WiFi remote, but you can buy one separately and pair it. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RoyaleWithChees
Level 7

What is your process for changing inputs on the Roku TV? Can the premier control the roku tv's inputs through hdmi cec (I'm not exactly sure what you can control with this?)

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 21

There's no problem with IR when it comes to roku tv and the roku premiere, each uses a completely different IR code set then the other, no possibility of IR interference. I would make sure each is on a different Theme so there will be no doubt of which roku your are tuned to. Roku tv's have default theme that the roku stand alone roku like the premiere do not have access to, and turn off the seasonal theme so it they won't switch to the same theme on certain holidays. 

Once they are connected to one another, all you have to do is press the HOME key on the remote of the roku you what to connect to and it will switch to it, press the home key on the other roku and you switch back. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
RoyaleWithChees
Level 7

I was worried about IR interference because I know I'm able to use one ir Roku remote on multiple Roku TVs. They're all different models and one is a different brand.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 21

The following brands of roku tv use the same IR code, tcl, insignia, rca, hitachi, haier, philips, element, westinghouse, magnavox, onn, sanyo, and jvc. Where Hisense & Sharp roku tv use a different code then the rest. But none of them will interfere with stand alone roku like the express or premiere rokus. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

I have a Vizio TV that also responds to the Sharp Roku TV remote, and vice versa. Since the Vizio is just used as a computer monitor, I cover the IR receiver window so the Sharp remote doesn't affect it. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RoyaleWithChees
Level 7

@Tivoburkee wrote:

The following brands of roku tv use the same IR code, tcl, insignia, rca, hitachi, haier, philips, element, westinghouse, magnavox, onn, sanyo, and jvc. Where Hisense & Sharp roku tv use a different code then the rest. But none of them will interfere with stand alone roku like the express or premiere rokus. 

I have TCL roku tvs and one Sharp Roku TV and their remotes work interchangeably.

I just picked up a premiere, and you are correct, the roku premier remote does not control the tv so there is no interference there. Unfortunately, the premier remote lacks a power button (this is less of an issue because on the one touch option and menu off shortcut) and volume (this is more of a deal breaker).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@RoyaleWithChees wrote:

I just picked up a premiere, and you are correct, the roku premier remote does not control the tv so there is no interference there. Unfortunately, the premier remote lacks a power button (this is less of an issue because on the one touch option and menu off shortcut) and volume (this is more of a deal breaker).

You could always get a voice remote, which uses WiFi Direct and has the power and volume buttons. It's another $20, but gives you everything on a single remote. 

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Dan
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 21

There are some models that accept both known roku tv code sets, your Sharp roku tv my accept the tcl remote, but the tcl roku tv doesn't accept the sharp remote. I have Hisense roku tv that accepts both tcl & insgnia tv remotes, but the Hisense remote has no effect at all on the tcl & insignia roku tv's. 

Edmund
0 Kudos