Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DasDonster1
Level 7

Roku Player Upgrade Questions

I have a Roku 3 4200X and have been having issues with it taking a long time to load up another show after viewing one, say on A&E. My router is fine, signal strength excellent on 5ghz. The Roku 3 hasn't had an issue until the past few weeks. I know it is old. I checked and it has the 8.0 firmware, not the newest 8.1. And the Roku 3 is in the same location as it has since I first set it up, so is the router.

My questions that I would like opinions on is the new Roku Streaming Stick+ worth upgrading to vs what I currently have, even when the Roku 3 was working just fine? Will I see faster load times?

Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku Player Upgrade Questions

Personally, I’d wait and see what 8.1 does.

Unless your looking for an excuse to get a new Roku, then, yeah, get one.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
DasDonster1
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
Personally, I’d wait and see what 8.1 does.

Unless your looking for an excuse to get a new Roku, then, yeah, get one.

Thanks Basil. Actually, I don't want to get a new one, however, listening to my wife complain about how slow the Roku has become I am getting close to just taking a chance on replacing it, praying that it will solve my...er...the issue of Roku slowdown!  Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I think you would be most impressed with the performance of a newer box. While your 3 is far newer than my old 2 XS, which is so slow it's almost unusable, it's still a pretty old box. Smiley Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"DasDonster1" wrote:
...Actually, I don't want to get a new one, however, listening to my wife complain about how slow the Roku has become I am getting close to just taking a chance on replacing it, praying that it will solve my...er...the issue of Roku slowdown!  Smiley Wink

I do think you’ll se a general improvement in the Roku itself. The Streaming Stick+ has a better processor plus twice the memory of the Roku 3, so an improvement is a given.

That may not translate to a resolution of the issue, though. If the cause of the delay in the next episode auto playing is outside the Roku (content server, ISP, neighbor riding your network, other network-connected device interference, etc.) then it will likely remain.

Of course, if Wife secretly wants a new Roku, she’d be happy even if the issue remains (“It made it better. It’s okay now.”)
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
DasDonster1
Level 7

I did a reboot of the Roku 3 yesterday via the settings menu, just to give that a shot to see if it might help the situation. It didn't. Was worth a shot.
0 Kudos