Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mercurial
Level 7

Roku OS Is Messing With my Chromecast

I have a bestbuy insignia TV, which runs a Roku player as it's default operating system. The Roku has a setting that allows me to immediately switch to an HDMI port at power-on, and skip the Roku player directly. As I am playing movies on my chromecast which is attached to the HDMI port, the Roku player is recurrently over-riding the HDMI port input by showing pop-up messages on the screen that say "Watch this move from the beginning. Hit the * button". First of all, not really sure why I'd want to exit the movie and watch it again on the Roku Player, and second, it seems a bit like Roku is trying to harass me into using the Roku Player instead of Chromecast, by showing these unwanted messages over and over again. 

How do I turn these messages off so the Roku Player stops tampering with my viewing experience on Chromecast? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku OS Is Messing With my Chromecast

Directions are in this link:

https://support.roku.com/article/115005 ... y-roku-tv-
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Settings->Privacy->Smart TV Experience.  Disable both of those.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

@OP  Just to make sure we understand how a Roku TV works: there isn't a Roku player in a Roku TV. The Roku TV is completely controlled by the Roku OS. When you are viewing another devices output on one of the HDMI input ports, it is the Roku OS that is still controlling that operation. Use the links in the previous threads to turn off the More ways to watch Roku TV feature.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"RokuDale" wrote:
@OP  Just to make sure we understand how a Roku TV works: there isn't a Roku player in a Roku TV. The Roku TV is completely controlled by the Roku OS. When you are viewing another devices output on one of the HDMI input ports, it is the Roku OS that is still controlling that operation. Use the links in the previous threads to turn off the More ways to watch Roku TV feature.

BTW Dale, on all of my RokuTV units for each of these settings there is a "Press * for more info", pressing the "*" button brings up another box with just a placeholder such as "ACR_Policy_Text".  Seems like someone forgot to define a variable somewhere.  Might want to report that.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

I reported the bug regarding the ACR TEXT, pick one of the TV and post the firmware version.
thanks
rokudale
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"RokuDale" wrote:
I reported the bug regarding the ACR TEXT, pick one of the TV and post the firmware version.
thanks
rokudale

Dale,
That was 8.2.0 4167 Today it is working properly.  I'm wondering if maybe this text is pulled dynamically from the internet as I also noticed yesterday several of the help articles (including the one posted above) were dead links and today they are now working.
0 Kudos