Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bacon
Level 9

Roku OS 8.1 Release Notes

Not a whole lot of new features or stuff...

Roku® OS 8.1 Release Notes
Today we’re beginning to roll out Roku OS 8.1, an update to the operating system that powers Roku streaming players and Roku TV™ models. This update includes a number of performance enhancements and fixes aimed at improving your streaming experience when using supported Roku devices. We’ve also updated the private listening feature in the free Roku mobile app so you can privately listen on multiple mobile devices at one time.
Roku OS 8.1 will begin rolling out to select Roku devices starting today and is expected to rollout to supported Roku devices in the coming weeks. Check out a detailed list of Roku OS 8.1 features and updates below.
Note: Some updates and/or fixes only apply to specific Roku devices. In those instances, supported devices are indicated in the release notes.
Note: A full list of supported Roku devices that will receive Roku OS 8.1 is included below.
Key Roku OS 8.1 Features:

• Mobile private listening – multiple mobile device support (US, Canada, Mexico, Latin America, UK, Ireland) – Roku OS 8.1 turns private listening into a group activity with added support for multiple mobile devices. Now, up to four mobile devices can connect to a Roku device to enjoy private listening when the feature is activated within the free Roku mobile app for iOS® or Android™. Enjoy a movie as a couple without waking the kids, or let the kids use headphones to watch their cartoons while you read a book in peace and quiet. With this update to mobile private listening, it’s easy for multiple people to turn up the volume without disturbing others in the house.
Click here for more information about mobile private listening and device compatibility.
Note: Mobile private listening will not work if you’ve plugged headphones into the headphone jack on a Roku enhanced remote.

• Updates to voice search in the UK – Customers who own the Roku Streaming Stick+ in the UK can search for their favorite entertainment using their voice by pressing and holding the search button on their remote. Just speak a command to search for movies, shows, actors or directors, or even launch streaming channels. For example, you can say things like “show me comedies,” “find The Grand Tour,” “Launch Netflix” and more.
Customers in the UK who own a Roku streaming player that does not have a voice-enabled remote can use voice features by downloading the free Roku mobile app for iOS® or Android™.
Additional Roku OS 8.1 Updates:

• Improves support on Roku TV for DTS passthrough from HDMI inputs to AV receivers and soundbars.

• Simplifies the audio settings options for Roku TV models. Audio format settings are now fully controlled in the “S/PDIF and ARC” menu item within the Settings > Audio menu.

• Roku TV customers can enter their ZIP code to ensure information displayed in the on-screen electronic program guide is specific to their location when an HDTV antenna is connected to their Roku TV. To enter a ZIP code, go to Settings > System > ZIP Code.

• Resolves screen jitter from intermittently occurring when some Blu-Ray players were connected to a 4K Roku TV.

• A number of additional updates and fixes were made to improve overall streaming performance and reliability across Roku devices.
Supported Roku Devices:

• Roku Streaming Players – 4660X, 4640X, 4630X, 4620X, 4400X, 4230X, 4210X, 4200X, 3910X, 3900X, 3810X, 3800X, 3710X, 3700X, 3600X, 3500X, 3420X, 3400X, 3100X, 3050X, 3000X, 2720X, 2710X, 2700X, 2500X, 2450X, 2400X

• Roku TV – All Roku TV models are expected to receive Roku OS 8.1
* Note: Streaming channel developers, content partners, advertisers and anyone who would like information related to SDK updates and additional improvements within Roku OS 8.1 can find more info on the Roku Developer Blog or in our SDK documentation.
Happy Streaming!
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Roku OS 8.1 Release Notes

Apparently your release of this firmware upgrade has coincided with numerous complaints of skipping and stuttering audio. Can someone provide an update?
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Seems 8.1 is now being rolled out (or re-launched?) to Roku TV's in addition to just the streaming players.  Mine have been updated.  Tell-tale signs in Settings include new Zip Code and combined audio config (and refreshed OSD appearance).

I haven't tested, but I hope 8.1 fixes a long-standing bug in our TCL Roku TV's -- when "Fast TV start" is enabled, the "TV brightness" eventually stops being adjustable until a restart.  Say I enable Fast TV start.  Then next day when turning the TV back on, the TV is stuck at one brightness level (perhaps the last-used level?) regardless if I set it to Darker, Dark, Normal, Bright, or Brighter.

We'll need Fast TV start when we start pairing with the new Roku Connect soundbars and smart speakers coming later this year, since the TV needs to stay in connected warm standby mode even with the screen off.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

"beq" wrote:
I haven't tested, but I hope 8.1 fixes a long-standing bug in our TCL Roku TV's -- when "Fast TV start" is enabled, the "TV brightness" eventually stops being adjustable until a restart.  Say I enable Fast TV start.  Then next day when turning the TV back on, the TV is stuck at one brightness level (perhaps the last-used level?) regardless if I set it to Darker, Dark, Normal, Bright, or Brighter.

Preliminary observation on one TV is good, brightness remains adjustable the last couple days on Fast TV start!
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Hey another TCL Roku TV issue also seems fixed, hope I'm not wrong Smiley Happy

Used to be that after the TV has been off awhile, turning it on again usually caused the remote to send duplicate power toggle signals, via both IR and Wi-Fi.  As a result the TV would turn on, then turn off (go to sleep) immediately.  So you'd have to press the power button again.
0 Kudos
g8rrob
Level 7

Shows are getting cut off (ending early about 3-4 mins ) after this update..
roku express 3900x

I dont know if this update is the culprit or not, but it started soon after this update
0 Kudos