Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PlantMom12

Roku OS 10 update not available on Roku Express (3930x)?

Hi folks! 

I am trying to update my Roku Express (3930x) to the Roku 10 OS. I have manually checked for updates under Settings > System > System Update but it's telling me that there are no updates available after OS 9.4.0. The OS 10 software release notes states that OS 10 is available on the Roku Express (3930x).

I have tried restarting the Roku and have tried all the trouble shooting steps on Software Update support page ( https://support.roku.com/article/208755668).

Any ideas on how to get the OS 10 update on my device? I would really like to update my device to use Airplay and screen mirroring as my device currently doesn't support those features. 

Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku OS 10 update not available on Roku Express (3930x)?

Roku rolls out updates on their own schedule that no one understands.  If you have an "updateable" model then you'll get it sometime, but nobody knows when.  It's not unusual to have multiple Rokus and have them all receive updates weeks or even months apart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
PlantMom12

Oh, wow! That is good to know but also so frustrating! Guess I'll be waiting around for my device to get lucky and update Smiley Mad

@renojim wrote:

Roku rolls out updates on their own schedule that no one understands.  If you have an "updateable" model then you'll get it sometime, but nobody knows when.  It's not unusual to have multiple Rokus and have them all receive updates weeks or even months apart.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Personally, I'm in no hurry.  With every Roku update I've been through, there are always channel apps that give problems with the new version because their developers haven't yet updated their apps to be compatible with the new version.  It always seems to take several months to get these things all ironed out.  The later in the rollout you get your Roku update, the fewer problems you are likely to have.

One hint/tip I've found.  When I receive a new Roku update, I've found it may not have updated some or all of the channel apps to get their new compatible versions.  Doing an immediate manual update via Settings > System > System update > Check now can get those channel apps all into their latest versions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@PlantMom12 wrote:

Hi folks! 

I am trying to update my Roku Express (3930x) to the Roku 10 OS. I have manually checked for updates under Settings > System > System Update but it's telling me that there are no updates available after OS 9.4.0. The OS 10 software release notes states that OS 10 is available on the Roku Express (3930x).

I have tried restarting the Roku and have tried all the trouble shooting steps on Software Update support page ( https://support.roku.com/article/208755668).

Any ideas on how to get the OS 10 update on my device? I would really like to update my device to use Airplay and screen mirroring as my device currently doesn't support those features. 

Thanks in advance! 

Just as an FYI, AirPlay (AirPlay protocol) and screen mirroring (Miracast protocol) are two different sets of functionality using two different protocols on Roku devices: "screen mirroring" (Miracast) has been in Roku devices for nearly 7 years - AirPlay support first appeared last November.

Your device currently supports screen mirroring (Settings/System/Screen mirroring) using Miracast - it doesnt support mirroring via AirPlay (until OS10).

"Airplay and screen mirroring as my device doesnt currently support those features" actually refers to the two different sets of functionality (one of which is in fact already supported), and of course Apple devices dont natively support screen mirroring (Miracast), thus creating the confusion etc.

If you want to refer to one of the two different modes (casting & mirroring) of AirPlay, to avoid confusion here in the Roku support boards, its best to say "Airplay mirroring" (from Control center) and "Airplay casting" (from within apps).