Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Howitzer
Reel Rookie

Roku OS 10 on Roku Express HD

Jump to solution

I recently purchased a Roku Express HD. I had read that it support ROKU OS 9.4 and that OS 9.4 supported AirPlay. When I set up my Roku Express HD, I couldn't not find AirPlay in the menu.

After looking around, I finally saw that AirPlay will only be supported on the Roku Express in Roku OS 10. The press release for Roku OS 10 from April 16, 2020 (almost 4 weeks ago) indicated that OS 10 would be rolling out to other devices in the next few weeks.

Can you please tell me if AirPlay will be supported on the Roku Express HD when ROKU OS 10 is released? And, can you give me a better idea of when Roku OS 10 will be released on the Roku Express.

I bought the device specifically for AirPlay and it is very frustrating that it doesn't work, and that I have no way of know if and when it will work.

Can you please give us an update of the expected date that Roku OS 10 and AirPlay for will be available for the Roku Exress (within a few week from April 16 doesn't really help).

Thanks, I await your answers and look forward to having AirPlay on my Roku Express HD.

Thanks,

Howie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Howitzer
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku OS 10 on Roku Express HD

Jump to solution

I'm pleased to announce that a few days ago Roku OS 10 became available on the Roku Express HD. I've upgraded my device, and AirPlay is working fine!! Yay!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

AirPlay2 is only supported on the 4K models with OS9.4

AirPlay2 is supported on most more recent models with OS10.

AirPlay2 will be supported on your Roku Express HD w/OS10 and the AirPlay update:  https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

The Roku devices listed below must be running Roku OS 10.0 or higher to support Apple HomeKit and streaming with AirPlay 2.

• Note: Devices running Roku OS 10.0 will receive AirPlay support in batches in the coming weeks.

Device Model

Roku TV 

Dxxxx, 8xxxx 

Roku Streaming Stick 

3600, 3800, 3801 

Roku Express 

3900, 3930, 3801 

Roku Express+ 

3910, 3931 

Roku HD 

Roku 2 

4205, 4210 

Roku 3 

4200, 4201, 4230 

As far as when major version firmware rollouts happen: Roku staggers major version rollouts to get feedback on issues from a more limited group of devices that they then incorporate into newer builds.  Some past major version rollouts have taken several months.

Only Roku knows the process logic for determining which devices get what versions/builds when (a person with several devices may have identical models on different versions)

You can manually check for updates (Settings/System/System updates/Check now) from time to time - otherwise firmware/app updates happen automatically, once a day or so.

0 Kudos
Howitzer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi - 

Thanks for getting back to me. I actually have seen all of the info that you posted. I was hoping to get some official update from someone at Roku who could perhaps give some more concrete timeframe on when Roku 0S 10 will be released for the Roku Express HD 3930.

When Roku OS 10 was first released almost a month ago, they indicated that this would be coming to other devices over the next few weeks. It's been almost 4 weeks since then.

It would be helpful to know when it's expected, since I bought this device in order to have AirPlay, and without it, it's not that useful for me. If the AirPlay support will be coming soon, I'll wait, but otherwise, I may need to return it and get a different device.

Any Roku people out there who can shed some light on this subject? It would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku OS updates aren't released per device. They are not released per user. 

In the past, I've had one Roku Ultra get an OS update shortly after the OS was released, and another not get it until a couple of months later.

The update will come to a device when it arrives.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Howitzer wrote:

Hi - 

Thanks for getting back to me. I actually have seen all of the info that you posted. I was hoping to get some official update from someone at Roku who could perhaps give some more concrete timeframe on when Roku 0S 10 will be released for the Roku Express HD 3930.

When Roku OS 10 was first released almost a month ago, they indicated that this would be coming to other devices over the next few weeks. It's been almost 4 weeks since then.

It would be helpful to know when it's expected, since I bought this device in order to have AirPlay, and without it, it's not that useful for me. If the AirPlay support will be coming soon, I'll wait, but otherwise, I may need to return it and get a different device.

Any Roku people out there who can shed some light on this subject? It would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Roku Support personnel aren't going to tell you anything more than you've already been told (likely less in fact) - Roku firmware rollouts can/do take place over months, and arent account specific, model specific, device specific, location specific or follow any recognizeable pattern.

Either you'll wait for OS10 w/AP or you wont. 

I recommend getting an alternate device (and keeping the Roku) so you have a multi-platform streaming strategy in place for app carriage/compatibility/functionality/availability differences, and considering you can get competitors' devices for $20-50 is worth both the wait and expenditure.

0 Kudos
Howitzer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm pleased to announce that a few days ago Roku OS 10 became available on the Roku Express HD. I've upgraded my device, and AirPlay is working fine!! Yay!!

0 Kudos