Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 11

Roku Media Player update to 5.2 Build 3 (7/22/20)

Things I have noticed so far:

Built-in Screensaver fix. For music playback, the internal "pong" screensaver now activates with a black background. Static displayed screen elements ("Repeat" and "Shuffle" buttons) have been removed. The screensaver no longer turns off and resets when the next track starts.

While this is a welcome improvement, the ability to use the system screensaver (as per the original media player) is still greatly desired and even needed in some cases.

Long file name scroll fix. In list view, long file names are still cut off from being displayed. However, if you highlight a file name and wait, after a four second pause, the file name slowly scrolls to the left allowing you to read it.

While at least the file name can be read now, this isn't an adequate fix, as there is plenty of screen real estate to the left not being used which stops the user from being able to read more than one long file name at a time. The four second pause is too long when trying to find content. At the very least the pause should be reduced to one or two seconds.

The issue of of not being able to select alternate audio tracks when playing back MKV files with multiple audio tracks (i.e., "5.1", "Stereo," "Commentary," "Spanish", etc.) has not been corrected. Only the default track plays, "Audio" is greyed out, with message "Only the default audio track is available".

It would be nice if a developer or someone associated with the Roku Media Player could post a change log, as well as a "to do" list like most competent software developers do. (I'm not holding my breath.)

Post what you've noticed to be fixed / still broken / something new broken (hopefully not).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Roku Media Player update to 5.2 Build 3 (7/22/20)

audio player still "broken" as far as I am concerned.  using Apple TV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Music fix for remembering last position: In Music, new Roku Media Player now remembers where you left off when leaving a music track and coming back to it, like the original Roku Media Player did.

While of course this is welcome, it still is not optimal. Pressing the left and right buttons on the Roku Remote no longer moves the position in the playback bar; it moves to the next (or previous) file in the folder or playlist. In order to move the position in the playback bar, you have to press the forward >> or backwards << button on the remote. Unfortunately, it only moves forwards 30 seconds and backwards 30 seconds at a time for seeking. After one press of a button, you must wait until you hear sound before the movement "takes" and you can press a button again to move another 30 seconds. Pressing forward >> or backward << repeatedly and quickly will not move position at all. Holding down the forward >> or backward << buttons will not move position at all. There is no option to "play track from beginning" as there was with the original media player. I had an 8 hour track with 30 minutes left until the end. I wanted to restart and was unable to, as I was unwilling to keep pressing backward << to go back 30 seconds and pause before pressing backward << again literally 900 times. I did try pressing forward >> 60 times (pausing between each time) to get to the end of the track, and it advanced to the next track. I pressed the left button on the Roku remote to go back expecting that the 8 hour track would start at the beginning, but it "remembered" where it was previously, 30 minutes until the end of the track. I gave up at that point.

Summary: Seeking in music needs restored to the same level of functionality as the original Roku Media Player.

New screensaver bug: When the internal "pong" screensaver is on when music is playing, pressing the "back" button in the top left corner of the Roku Remote does not exit the screensaver. Pressing the "home" button in the top right completely exits Roku Media Player and returns to the home screen. Behavior in the original Roku Media Player was pressing "back" button in the top left corner of the Roku Remote or the "home" button in the top right would just exit the screensaver. The workaround to exit the screensaver when music is playing is to press the "play/pause" button. The screensaver will exit, but the music will pause and you must press "play/pause" again to unpause the track.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@Psilobite 

they must be pushing out several stealth updates.

I just checked and noticed that the screen saver no longer has the two toggle boxes at the top of the screen, they were there yesterday.  also an up or down will trigger out of screen saver mode.

a change in audio file does not trigger out of screen saver mode.

to save you 450 advances, a double click on advance or rewind yields a 60 second jump.  it has been like that since the start of this build.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

There was one update on 7/22/20, to version 5.2 Build 3. It was not "stealth" as the update came down when I ran an update check. ("Updating Roku Media player...")

Double pressing to get a 60 second jump is still not an adequate solution. Seeking needs restored to the level of functionality from the original Roku Media Player.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

I realize a 60 second jump isn't a viable option, I said the same directly to Roku.  some of my longer audio files are around 4 hours.

the last line was more of a jab at Roku. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Sorry... too tired I guess! Smiley Happy

It's not at all uncommon for people to listen to Audiobooks that are single mp3 files that can be 10 - 30 hours long! So not being able to seek properly is going to be a big issue when using a player for that.

Again it wasn't a problem with the original media player.

What features exactly did the new media player add? Anything? Because so far it seems that all that happened was the graphics changed, and a whole list of items were then broken or downgraded, and here we are taking the time to post about all the problems and issues of just trying to get back what was taken away... time we could be spending on other things.

Is this what Roku intended? What exactly was intended by changing the Roku Media Player?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Latest-Roku-Media-Player-update-...

this should tell you how I feel about the latest "upgrade".  this is entirely a self-inflicted problem.

it would probably take a while for me to notice any additions, but I certainly noticed what was lost.

if I could get Xfinity on Apple TV, I could toss the Roku.  I don't even particularly like Apple products.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Have been having trouble with the volume on streaming apps like Hulu and YouTube...was given a way to "reset the cashe" but have to constantly do this because each time the TV is left on a channel for a while, it goes to sleep and then no volume when you bring it back up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

The problem of browsing into a folder with many (thousands) of media files has not been resolved. User happyrat reports that a folder with 16,000 audio files causes Roku Media player to crash and also causes the sound on the entire Roku system to go silent until the system has rebooted (sound driver crash? ... stack overflow issue?).

The original Roku Media Player was able to handle these conditions without issue.

(Jmlful, it appears you posted in the wrong thread. I suggest creating a new one for your specific issue. This thread is about the Roku Media Player 5.2 Build 3 update on 7/22/20.)

0 Kudos