Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bach3
Streaming Star

Roku Media Player Screensaver not working

When running an MP3 audio file from a USB stick in the Roku Media Player, the Screensaver doesn't work. I have the "Screensaver" option set to "On" and yet the screensaver doesn't kick in.

The audio file is rather long, just over an hour. Still, seems like the screensaver should work.

This is on a Roku Streambar with everything up to date.

Please fix this if you can!

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
bach3
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Media Player Screensaver not working

I just tried some new files, also very long MP3s like the first time, and this time around the Screensaver kicked in and was activated.

Not sure what the problem was, maybe there was an update since I first posted this issue I don't know, but if it happens again I'll post here.

0 Kudos
bach3
Streaming Star

Aaaaand now it’s not working anymore.

I played the same file and the Screensaver didn’t activate.

The difference this time around is that I continued the file from where I left off, so maybe the Screensaver only works when you start from the beginning?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@bach3

Thanks for the post.

In order for us to investigate the issue further, we would need more information. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more details, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bach3
Streaming Star

It’s a Streambar, 9102R, software version 11 build 4193-95.

As I say, it’s only when using the Roku Media Player channel to playback audio files from a USB stick. The screensaver setting is set to “On” but the screensaver doesn’t actually activate all of the time.

I cannot determine why, and this error happens more often than not, as I rarely see the screensaver activated when using this channel.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@bach3

Thanks for the post.

It doesn't look like you've provided all the information that I've requested in my last reply.

In addition to that information, would you be willing to send us a sample of the content that you are experiencing this issue so we can try to replicate the issue?

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
plugh
Channel Surfer

In the context of reporting related screensaver issues, I mentioned reproducing your issue here.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/11-0-0-screen-saver-crashing-mul...

@Portalogemsubsequently posted a 'recipe' which I adapted / applied to my box.

Just wanted to report that I retested, and it addressed this issue as well.

0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

The link went to your post that was above my post plugh, and people might not find it, so I thought I would post a different link that goes directly to the 'recipe' I posted on that thread. If this works for you bach3, please post the link below to any thread/forum you find to be relevant.

I had previously posted a lot more here, but after re-reading your above posts, the more I think about your issue bach3, after plugh was able to fix this through my post in the link below, since your Roku Streambar doesn't have a Micro-SD Card slot, which is now the source of the problem, and that all of my and my parents' Roku devices that don't have Micro-SD card slots now have functioning in-channel screensavers, that your device also should have been patched by one of the recent Roku updates like my devices were.

Therefore, your issue should be resolved, especially since plugh was able to resolve this which allowed his device to become patched after re-formatting the SD card in that device. However, if you still have the screensaver issues then make certain your USB stick is not attached to your Roku Streambar, and click on the link below to follow the instructions given, but skip the SD Card steps.

If you find that your issue is still not resolved, then it could be your USB stick that still has something on it which is causing compatibility issues on OS 11 with that channel's screensaver, no different than what was on plugh's SD card which was also causing compatibility issues with the in-channel screensaver. I believe it's a cache issue on the external device that is conflicting with the updated OS on the Roku device when it's plugged into it. So, what you can do is to back up your files off that USB stick, format the USB stick in a computer (make sure not to format any other drives on your computer), and then put the files back on your USB stick. Since plugh's issue was resolved, this should also resolve your issue. If it does, let me know in the comments below, and I'll incorporate this into my post. 

If this has helped you, instead of me having a post on a thread that is relevant to three threads, I was wondering if I should remove that post since it might be hard to find on that thread and just move this to a standalone post, and by doing that, perhaps the search engines would pick this up. And then I would replace where I originally posted this with a link to where that post would be. Perhaps then the moderator could take all these threads and merge them under my solution post since it incorporated your issue as well as Maverick59 and plugh's issue as well as another person's issue on another thread I have a link to on the bottom of my post in the other thread. Or again, perhaps your issue is already resolved because this screensaver glitch no longer applies to your device. So, is my original post (in the link below) fine where it is? What do you all think? Perhaps if this helps to resolve your issue bach3, the moderator could instead change my post that's within the original thread in the link below into a solution post. I just thought at the time that that was the most relevant thread I could find to post the solution in.

Here is the link below:

How to Fix The Screensaver OS 11 Glitch -- 2022 -- Roku Community

(https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/11-0-0-screen-saver-crashing-mul...)

Thanks for mentioning me plugh 🙂

-- Portalogem

0 Kudos
bach3
Streaming Star

Update:

First off, I haven't been replying because I don't have the time or desire to be a tester, as it's not that big of a deal relative to the time required to test, etc.

Second, I found that if you press pause, then wait a few seconds and press play the screen saver will kick in (after the allotted time) if it is stubborn and won't kick in to begin with.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I will add that RMP doesn't seem to have any active development going on at the moment. There's been screensaver issues for more than a year that have not been addressed, along with numerous video playback issues that have been ignored. I don't know if Roku is giving up on RMP or if they're working on some new generation of the channel. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos