Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 11

Roku Media Player 5.4 Build 4 Update (October 7, 2020)

So far, it seems to mostly be the same.

I checked, and the issue with not being able to play back multiple audio tracks in MKV files has NOT been fixed. It's still only possible to play the default audio track in an MKV file with multiple audio tracks (i.e., Stereo, 5.1 Surround, Spanish, etc.)

After months of waiting for an update to Roku Media Player, this is discouraging. Can anyone confirm if this will ever be fixed, or is this just going to stay this way?

The other big problem with previous versions is that audio only / music playback would stop randomly. I haven't had that happen, but I've only had this latest update for a day, so we'll see I guess.

It would be nice to have some kind of release notes.

Tags (2)
12 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku Media Player 5.4 Build 4 Update (October 7, 2020)

As ever, your best bet for getting the functionality in RMP you want (back) is to inform @RokuChris and/or join the RMP Beta (again, contact @RokuChris )

FWIW, the only thing changed is the removal of a line of debug code.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Yeah, Roku Media Player stopped again in the middle of playing back a playlist. So, the problem of Roku Media Player stopping randomly during music playback has not been solved.

Unbelievable.

I don't want to beta test software, I want the original working software back that was taken away from me without my consent.

Highlighted
Level 12

I cant (and wont) disagree with that - its a more than legitimate position.

That being said, even if you don't want to join the RMP Beta, you should at least bend @RokuChris ear and let him know about the issue (numbers matter).

And speaking of numbers mattering and wanting RMP 4.x back ("RMP Classic"), you might consider a change.org petition:  "Give users RMP 4 back as "RMP Classic"

Who knows?  If it gets large enough, Roku might even respond....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

The v5.4 update includes significant changes related to two main themes:

• Improving performance when using the channel with very large audio collections
  • Improving the search experience when using the channel with USB media

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@RokuChris wrote:

The v5.4 update includes significant changes related to two main themes:

• Improving performance when using the channel with very large audio collections
  • Improving the search experience when using the channel with USB media

thank you for the information.  I think it is the first time that I have seen an official Roku post on this issue.  please pass on to higher ups in the company that consumers appreciate open communication. when companies make significant changes with little or no notice that just pisses people off and reduces their confidence in the company and the product.  Edit/addition:  I'm sorry that you get left to deal with the fallout from "company policy"

now that we've got your attention, here are some comments.

audio files, stopping while in Repeat all on seems to have gotten worse.  seems like it plays one or two files then stops. it starts playing the next file after you trigger it out of screensaver mode. when I turn off screensaver media player has not stopped yet, but I haven't had enough time to check that long term.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@Psilobite wrote:

So far, it seems to mostly be the same.

I checked, and the issue with not being able to play back multiple audio tracks in MKV files has NOT been fixed. It's still only possible to play the default audio track in an MKV file with multiple audio tracks (i.e., Stereo, 5.1 Surround, Spanish, etc.)

After months of waiting for an update to Roku Media Player, this is discouraging. Can anyone confirm if this will ever be fixed, or is this just going to stay this way?

The other big problem with previous versions is that audio only / music playback would stop randomly. I haven't had that happen, but I've only had this latest update for a day, so we'll see I guess.

It would be nice to have some kind of release notes.

not important, but the "official" date for the update is October 8, 2020.  I don't know if they dropped the update early or if it is a time zone issue.  I have a feeling this thread may get combined with the other RMP not working thread anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

audio player issue.

resume play feature needs work.  when the audio player goes to the next file and the file has an exit marker from a previous play RMP picks up at the last exit instead of starting at the beginning.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Since the Roku System software was updated to 9.4.0 Build 4174-46 on my 2017 Roku Ultra, the Roku Media Player has become completely unusable again for music playback. Whereas before music playback would occasionally stop at the end of one track and the start of the next, now, it stops nearly every single time. So, it's no longer possible to play back music. When a track ends, it now stops about 90-95% of the time, instead of playing the next one. I suspect it stops when the screensaver is active.

Seeking is no longer accurate either. If I seek to say 20 seconds to the end of a track, it begins playback at more like 60 seconds to the end.

The only workaround on the Roku, is the My Music app, which is not a very good workaround since it has a bug that causes a playlist with more than 100 entries on it to be sorted incorrectly.

Six months since this Roku Media Player update, and instead of bug fixes, it just gets worse.

ADD THE ORIGINAL MEDIA PLAYER BACK AS A HIDDEN CHANNEL, IF YOU CAN'T FIX THESE CONSTANT PROBLEMS. YOU'VE HAD MORE THAN ENOUGH TIME.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Highlighted
Level 7

I am seeing the same thing since the OS update: at the end of an audio track, the next track usually won't load and play until I hit a key on the remote. It may be related to the system screen saver coming on, but is not 100% consistent.