Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

RMP before version 5.0 (I think it was actually 3.something, there wasn't a version 4 if I recall) was on a different OS version. They had to release RMP 5 because of something that was changing in the OS, so this was an unfortunate byproduct. All I can do is relay what the developer says. It's something within the Roku OS that is causing music to stop playing with the Roku screensaver enabled. As for other apps, I've only used Pandora, which has its own screensaver function, and doesn't use the Roku version. I've never used any other music apps/channels, so I can't speak if any of them use the Roku screensaver. Disabling the screensaver is the only workaround at this time to play music continually via RMP.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dathead2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

Disabling screen saver in RMP is a perfectly fine workaround for me.  I just feel bad for folks that don’t know that and think RMP is worthless when indeed it is pretty darn nice!!

just to repeat for others though you can turn off screen saver JUST for RMP by hitting the * when inside RMP playing some media. You don’t have to turn it off globally. 

luckily my Sony Bravia has a “display off” option which I prefer over even screen saver anyway 

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

I received a response from the RMP developer. The screensaver issue is something within the Roku OS itself, and not something they can resolve within the channel. So, it's not an RMP issue. Unfortunately, the only suggestion for the time being is to disable the SS. 

that is a new one.  it is usually Roku blaming third party apps for malfunctions.

now it is one segment of Roku blaming another.

hey guys (Roku) whether it is RMP or Roku OS it is all in-house, just get it fixed.

0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

I received a response from the RMP developer. The screensaver issue is something within the Roku OS itself, and not something they can resolve within the channel. So, it's not an RMP issue. Unfortunately, the only suggestion for the time being is to disable the SS. 

Sorry, but that's complete BS. Roku Media Player 4 (or 3) didn't have any problems or issues with it. Not being able to play back a playlist with the screensaver is a show stopping issue for me.

The problem is I get screen retention and 𝚋urn in on my screen with static images. If using the Roku screensaver breaks functionality of the music playlist function, then it shouldn't be an option. There should be an internal screensaver that does NOT have any static screen elements, like the My Music app does (star field, etc.).

I noticed there was a Roku Media Player update yesterday, to 5.5 Build 8. None of the problems addressed here have been fixed.

Is not being able to select different audio tracks in MKV files also a wonderful new feature of the Roku OS?

Also, could someone please explain what is going on with this:

"The message body contains 𝚋urn, which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post."

!?!?!?!?

renojim

It's not complete BS.  The old version used a completely different SDK.  I suspect the new scene graph **bleep** has some issue with audio and screensavers, but I haven't used it enough to really know.  I just hate using it so much.

I guess it's bad word for some reason?  Like flame?

Edit:  flame seems to be ok.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Roku Guru

I would be interested to hear from anyone that uses a third party app to listen to music that uses the native Roku Screensaver to see what their experience has been.  does the screensaver interrupt their audio files as well?

since the rumor is that the audio playback issue is an OS problem and the RMP version has changed I started a new post for that and a new separate post for the resume feature as well.  I categorize anything as a rumor that has not been officially acknowledged by a company.  

I returned here and found the posts gone.  I finally tracked them down to another sub-forum.  this is one of the things that I find typical and frustrating about the "Roku" experience.  they seem to make it a policy to just do things without regard to the customers and don't inform them.  I don't know if the goal here is to be proactive and more efficient or just scatter the posts around so the problems don't seem to be as great as they are.

I find it odd that they moved the Screensaver issue to the Channels sub-forum if the root problem is with the OS.

at one point I thought maybe this is progress, some official acknowledgement of the posts.  then I thought, if Roku has volunteer customer support, they may have volunteer forum moderators as well.

this odyssey has been almost a full year so I may have not seen all of the posts, but I don't recall ever seeing any official acknowledgement of these problems and what they are going to do about them.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I believe the moderators will only move posts to group like issues together. Perhaps they aren't always located in the most appropriate sub-forum.

The only other channel I've ever used for listening to music is Pandora. It doesn't use the Roku screensaver, instead using it's own version. I don't think I've used it since Christmas, but it played everything non-stop then. While I have a small number of audio files on one of my DLNA servers for testing purposes, I seldom use RMP (or anything else) for music listening. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Even if this is an issue with the OS itself, it means that the older OS supported more features than the new one, and that is not good for users.

With older OS:

- Roku screensaver could be active when playing back a music playlist.

- Multiple audio tracks could be selected when playing back MKV files.

So then the OS needs updated so that it's as capable as the old OS.

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Roku Guru

@Psilobite wrote:

Even if this is an issue with the OS itself, it means that the older OS supported more features than the new one, and that is not good for users.

With older OS:

- Roku screensaver could be active when playing back a music playlist.

- Multiple audio tracks could be selected when playing back MKV files.

So then the OS needs updated so that it's as capable as the old OS.

if I understand things correctly, only the RMP/Screensaver issue is being blamed on the OS.  everything else is still in the RMP realm of responsibility.  RMP or OS it is still all on Roku.

still have not heard from anyone that uses a third party audio player that uses the native Roku Screensaver.  that may be like looking for a unicorn.

0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

I don't know of any apps/channels on Roku that do music playback and also use the Roku screensaver. I'm currently using My Music for DLNA playback via LAN, but it has its own screensavers. I'm using its starfield screensaver.

0 Kudos