Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

Roku has released another beta, but I can't discuss what it's working on. But they have resumed work on it after not seeing any updates since last October. I think most of the updates have been for music playback, as there are still a number of things with video playback still unaddressed. However, I was told that RMP should be using the regular Roku screensaver now. If someone confirms that it's not, I can bring that back to the developers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

@atc98092 wrote:

Roku has released another beta, but I can't discuss what it's working on. But they have resumed work on it after not seeing any updates since last October. I think most of the updates have been for music playback, as there are still a number of things with video playback still unaddressed. However, I was told that RMP should be using the regular Roku screensaver now. If someone confirms that it's not, I can bring that back to the developers. 

there have been a number of post on this issue.  if Roku is not aware of it, they must be ignoring the posts.

so again here is the issue.  yes the native screen saver will "work" with RMP.  but the problem is if you have the screensaver turned on for RMP a couple of audio files will play, then RMP will stop.  period.  no sound.  RMP will usually continue playing if you trigger out of the screensaver, then a couple of files played later RMP will stop again. 

so yes, the screensaver does work with RMP but is useless for playing audio files.

if you think it will raise the profile of this problem, I will be willing to repeat this is all caps.

and the last update was January 13.

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Roku Guru

@R-3Dreadnought wrote:

Appreciate the update Dathead2, I check the forum every once in awhile to see if they got around to fixing WMP.  I must say, your avidemux solution is impressive.   I only break out avidemux when I have to fix an audio sync issue...

I'm still rolling with the 4.x version of RMP and using the Amazon fire for streaming. Got a non-roku 4k TV as well.  Perfectly happy to never subject any of my devices to another roku update.

how are you able to use version 4?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Thanks for that clarification. I'll make sure the developers get this in the beta forum.

The other user is still on 4.x because he has disconnected his Roku from the network and never let it update. If you use RMP just for playing from a USB storage device, that will work. Naturally, it won't work from a DLNA server on the network. I suppose if the router has the ability one could block that device from connecting to the Internet, and allow access from the local network. But most home routers aren't fancy enough for that. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

The other user is still on 4.x because he has disconnected his Roku from the network and never let it update. If you use RMP just for playing from a USB storage device, that will work. Naturally, it won't work from a DLNA server on the network. I suppose if the router has the ability one could block that device from connecting to the Internet, and allow access from the local network. But most home routers aren't fancy enough for that. 

a lot of work to use a defective product.

a simpler solution, look for something else.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Roku players were not originally designed for local media playback. Their sole purpose was online Internet streaming. They added RMP as an afterthought basically, but for casual use it's been just fine for me. But yes, for a higher quality experience with local media, you really can't beat the Nvidia Shield. Supports almost every codec, will bitstream all audio, and has a Gigabit network connection. But you pay quite a bit more for that experience. 

Dan

0 Kudos
dathead2
Roku Guru

I am very happy with RMP despite its failings. I use it literally every day as the brains to my audio/video archive on an 8TB WD disk attached via USB on an Ultra. 

needed to convert from dvd/vob to something so chose mkv since Roku supports. Also plays all my FLACs.  

I do hate that it converts all audio to 48k. Tech “support” said 44.1k not a standard rate - ha!!

but I think last RMP update was big improvement (despite the horrible go to sleep bug which at least can be subverted by turning off sleep mode)

also like new feature that it remembers where you were during playback in a  file if you come back to it later. 

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Roku Guru

@dathead2 wrote:

also like new feature that it remembers where you were during playback in a  file if you come back to it later. 

besides the stopping issue while using the screensaver there was a problem with the RMP resume function. the location marker for restart didn't go away. 

I have some very long audio files and I noticed when I had one on a loop that when it got to the end it did not start back a the beginning.  it kept restarting at the old restart location.  I did a little experimenting and I found that I could get the RMP to continuously loop the last 30-45 seconds of a 4 hour long audio file. 

I don't want to use the RMP for audio without a screensaver so I have not been using it for quite a while.  I haven't checked to see if they fixed the restart problem.  the only way that I was aware of to avoid this problem was to do a manual restart of the file from the menu selection and immediately exit the file.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I received a response from the RMP developer. The screensaver issue is something within the Roku OS itself, and not something they can resolve within the channel. So, it's not an RMP issue. Unfortunately, the only suggestion for the time being is to disable the SS. 

Dan

0 Kudos
dathead2
Roku Guru

> I received a response from the RMP developer. The screensaver issue is something within the Roku OS itself

how is it then that the screen saver can be disabled within RMP just itself and not across the board to all apps? (That has been my workaround). Plus it didn’t happen in RMP 4 

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos