Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dathead2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

I use the TuneIn music app a lot and interestingly it has no screen saver.  Maybe because it has a small VU type meter that constantly moves. 

the other older RMP issues are minuscule compared to this new one that just rolled out last week with stopping and skipping all the time. Ugh.  I will beta test a fix. Sign me up. 

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

@Gary-94080 wrote:

if I understand things correctly, only the RMP/Screensaver issue is being blamed on the OS.  everything else is still in the RMP realm of responsibility.  RMP or OS it is still all on Roku.

That's my understanding as well. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@dathead2 send a private message to @RokuChris and he can add you to the beta test. The nice thing about beta testing RMP is that it doesn't replace the existing version, so it a beta really messes something up (hey, it can happen), you can still use the public version. Of course, when the public version also has issues, that's not a lot of help 😛

Dan

0 Kudos
dathead2
Roku Guru

I assume the current beta RMP still has all of our grievances?

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
atc98092

The most current beta is the same as the newly released public version. I have no idea when the next beta will be available for testing, but I'm sure they'd like as much feedback as possible about the version just released. I know I would if I was the programmer. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Ootbuakong

RMP does not update file list from my personal network WD Cloud storage drive.

Added 3 new folders and 2 are not showing up on the RMP file list.

Already restarted system, still not seeing the newly added folders.

My phone and PC see them fine via VLC player app browsing or PC file browsing.

Thought by version 5.x this basic file listing should not be a defect.

0 Kudos
andeux
Channel Surfer

There is a new version of RMP, 5.5 build 9 released today.

I don't know what, if anything, may have been fixed. Unfortunately all three bugs I have noted relating to playing audio files via network remain:

• When screensaver is active, music stops playing after the second track ends.
  • For the first track played, listed track length of the progress bar that shows up on pause is incorrect (the other progress bar may is correct more often).
  • When a new track starts, audio cuts out for 1-2 seconds at the beginning.

The last of these bugs is the newest (introduced in the previous version) but also the most serious. The other two have gone unfixed for months.

asebg
Reel Rookie

Hi everyone,

So I stumbled on this issue in the past couple days, and have been trying to solve it. I think I've figured out a workaround. I discovered that with some mkv files that had an English commentary track, but a non-English regular soundtrack, Roku Media Player was able to see the different tracks. So I went in and changed the language flag using MKVToolNix's Header Editor on some other mkv's with multiple audio tracks, and they show up now in RMP 5,5.

This is pretty annoying, especially if you like metadata labels to be accurate, but hopefully this will help shed some light on what exactly is going wrong.

EDIT: So, what I did was I went in and kept the stereo/DPLII track flagged as English, and I changed the Surround track to Undetermined, and that worked. It also appears that just removing the Language flag altogether may work, too. In MKVToolNix, you'd just click the Language "remove entry" checkbox for each track, but someone cleverer than I am may be able to come up with code that can do batch metadata changes to their mkvs.

Psilobite
Roku Guru

THAT'S all it is? A metadata issue?

And it's been like this for a year?

Unbelievable.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I was playing some MKV files with multiple audio tracks last week, and the selection menu was available. I did not alter the files in any way beyond just ripping them with MakeMKV. So I don't think it's as simple as that. For my TS/M2TS files with multiple tracks they are not selectable. If I play them with my Nvidia Shield, all the audio and captions tracks are available. I still use my Roku devices for local playback, but my go-to player is the Shield. In particular for UHD rips, the Shield has Gigabit Ethernet, so no issues with the bitrates. 

Dan

0 Kudos