Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

The reason I am making yet another thread is I have no idea what the developers are doing with regard to issue tracking. Since the Roku Media Player update has a LOT of broken features and bugs, and they don't seem to be rolling it back this time, I have no idea where to be reporting new bugs and issues found. It doesn't seem likely developers are going to see posts buried in the many different threads on the topic, where each thread has a lot of chatter not directly relating to found bugs.

Anyways, I just found this pretty major bug in the "new" Roku Media Player (version 5.1, build 3):

On MKV files with multi audio tracks, it is no longer possible to play anything other than the default track. The original Roku Media Player allowed users to select the track, and even displayed the track names as entered in MKVToolNix/MKVMerge. Now, on the menu brought up by pressing "*" during playback, the "Audio track <Default>" option is greyed out, and when highlighting the option, the text above the menu says, "Only the default audio track is available".

MKV was being played via network DLNA. It had three audio tracks - 5.1 surround, stereo, and commentary. Original Roku Media Player handled it fine. Other DLNA clients (smart TV, Blu-Ray player) also handle it fine.

42 REPLIES 42
R-3Dreadnought
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

You need to get with the program Brother.  Here's how it works: 

1)        Roku developers break something on your Roku via an unnecessary software update without your consent/approval;

2)        You complain about it and they do nothing:

3)        You work with other Roku posters to come up with a solution that requires a great deal of effort and customization on your part;

4)        Your efforts result in a semi-workable solution that lets you utilize your Roku device for a month or two;

5)        Roku developers render your solution unworkable via another unnecessary software update without your consent/approval;

6)        Return to step 2.

mgosdin
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

Well to be nasty about it, I have a solution to the cycle of Break -> Work Around - Break.

Give my money to Amazon and get a Fire TV.

Enough people do that and the cycle will break when Roku runs out of money...

Like I said, nasty but that's how it works in this world.

Mark Gosdin

R-3Dreadnought
Streaming Star

You hit the nail on the head Mark.

Disconnected my Roku Ultra from the internet back in May and use the old version of Roku Media Player to play from USB.  I use the Amazon Fire TV for streaming. 

Psilobite
Roku Guru

What a horrible situation... the worst thing for the company's software is the company itself.

@R-3Dreadnought wrote:

You hit the nail on the head Mark.

Disconnected my Roku Ultra from the internet back in May and use the old version of Roku Media Player to play from USB.  I use the Amazon Fire TV for streaming. 

dathead2
Roku Guru

what's even harder to believe is that after several more updates this issue still exists in march 2021!

my "solution" was to use avidemux to swap the audio tracks on the videos i have to make the one i want most often to be the first/default audio track.  Oy!   my sony bravia/android tv's media player does allow the choice of track (however i must note that player is otherwise much worse than RMP otherwise, but they did make some improvements in the sep-2020 sony/android release)

the fall 2020 update to RMP also has some nice new features (faster scanning of large drives, easier search layout to find things faster, etc)

so yes, i still love roku...

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Broken roku media player update has been out for a year.

I'm using My Music app for music playback. The active screensaver makes playlist / folder playback stop in RMP 5.

I'm using other devices (TV or Blu-Ray player) to play back mkv files with multiple audio tracks and I need to select another track. Not possible with RMP 5.

I've also recently investigated audio popping sounds when playing back mkv videos. At first I thought my encodes had distorted audio tracks, but the popping didn't occur on other devices (computer, TV media player, Blu-Ray media player). Yet another issue with RMP 5.

None of these issues were present in RMP 4. I had switched to using it almost exclusively until RMP 5. They forced this broken update, then left it this way. For a year. So permanently I guess.

What a joke.

dathead2
Roku Guru

I have never had any audio popping noises on mkv’s. 

for the screensaver issue workaround for me was I disabled screensaver in media player (option only avail via * when playing a song). 

I just Use my Sony tv’s “picture off” to manually to turn off screen 

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Roku Guru

@Psilobite wrote:

I'm using My Music app for music playback.

I'm trying out My Music app now.  I'm using the blank screensaver, the other two don't appeal to me.

I can access my Western Digital NAS but not the Synology NAS.  not sure why, but I have a feeling that it is because the Synology is more secure than the Western Digital.  that is unfortunate because the Western Digital was more for backup and the Synology was the working NAS.

the My Music app is pretty basic, so far I have not found anything in the settings to indicate why the Synology folder is blank.

I still miss the fish tank.  one thing that Roku has done right is rendered useless by something Roku has done so wrong.

it is coming up on a year that Roku broke the Media Player.

any bets on getting to a full year that Roku fails to fix the Media Player?

0 Kudos
R-3Dreadnought
Streaming Star

Appreciate the update Dathead2, I check the forum every once in awhile to see if they got around to fixing WMP.  I must say, your avidemux solution is impressive.   I only break out avidemux when I have to fix an audio sync issue...

I'm still rolling with the 4.x version of RMP and using the Amazon fire for streaming. Got a non-roku 4k TV as well.  Perfectly happy to never subject any of my devices to another roku update.

0 Kudos