Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Psilobite
Level 11

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

@lesmikesell wrote:

But assuming it is your content and your server, that is something you control.  And on the server side, plex does a pretty good job of serving DLNA clients on other devices so it can replace other servers (I still have a serviio instance running from a time when it couldn't, but haven't accessed it for a couple of years).

Won't run on the various NAS devices that I have Twonky DLNA servers running. Spent a lot of time testing and found a version of Twonky that works very quick and flawlessly. Not going to change everything over to Plex running on a desktop or laptop because of Roku Media Player's ridiculous update. If I'm going to change anything, it will be a new DLNA client running on a Fire device to replace Roku, since Roku users have no choice for DLNA clients other than Roku Media Player.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

@atc98092 wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

Just curious: what functionality does RMP have that Plex lacks? 

Probably the single biggest thing for me is playing one movie after another. Plex will do that with TV episodes, but not movies.

You can make a playlist of movies - but I think the ad hoc way to do it would be to use the plex app on your phone as a controller, start the first one, then select another and 'add to queue' (from the '...' menu to the left of the play button) with as many as you might want.

The next thing, almost as important, is support for PLS and M3U playlists. I have playlists built for myself and family members, with the titles listed in the order desired. RMP will play them exactly how I build the list. Plex won't even acknowledge their existence. Plex does have a playlist function, but it's built into their web interface and doesn't use PLS files. On my Shield players, Kodi sees the playlists, but reorders them alphabetically instead of leaving them in the order I create. But it least it sees and plays them.

Yes, not importing other lists is annoying, but the web interface turns out to not be terrible at building lists  if you spend a few minutes figuring out the quirks.  You can use filters to get a bunch of stuff displayed, multi-selects to pick them for adding, then later do a drag/drop within the list to re-order if necessary.   Try it - and if you think something should be easier, look up how to do it.  The interface is not at all obvious because the operations don't mesh well with web pages but it isn't too bad once you see how it works.  The main thing that still drives me crazy is that it doesn't automatically de-select choices when you add them to a list so if you forget that step you get them included in your next set of selections.

Also I ran across something that offered to convert playlists in some google searches but it might have been a paid service or part of something else.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Oh, I've used the playlist function on the Plex web interface. It's just nowhere near as easy to use a building a PLS file that Serviio can use. And for the wife, ad hoc isn't the way to go. She tells me what she wants, and I make it happen. And it happens so much easier with Serviio, because the lists are all the same when using RMP or Kodi on the Shield for playback. And we want to keep momma happy. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

@atc98092 wrote:

The other issue for me personally is the control I have over transcoding with Serviio. As I've mentioned before, I'm the author of the Roku profiles included with Serviio.

Over the years, plex usually did better at knowing what my devices needed than serviio.  But yeah, the ability to tweak it yourself in serviio was a plus when I had a device (a cable box that included a local media player) that needed it.   Now I'm too old and grumpy for that sort of thing and will just buy something different if it doesn't work.  Especially with the way Mac packaging hides the things you need to tweak.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Well, I'm old and getting grumpier by the day (so my wife says...), but I still enjoy tweaking stuff like that. And being able to help other users gives some satisfaction.

I'm also a moderator on the Serviio forum, and I am spending more than an hour a day overall deleting and banning these scammer posts. Probably time to head over there and delete some more... Smiley Mad

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
duffyb
Level 7

'Play USB' is no better. This is an issue of Roku not supporting codecs it once did.

0 Kudos
R-3Dreadnought
Level 9

I'd like to thank the Roku developers for making it so clear what to do with my 4660x-Roku Ultra and whether to proceed with my planned purchase of a ROKU 4K TV.  Here is the timeline:

November 2019:  Roku applies the 9.2.0 update...virtually turning my Ultra into a brick overnight.  They also removed some functionality from Roku Media Player (RMP) in connection with this update.  Psilobite do you remember our discussions on this?

Prior to the 9.2.0 update, my Ultra worked FLAWLESSLY out of the box.  After the 9.2.0 update, I am forced to get used to using my Ultra exclusively for playing USB files via Roku Media Player because trying to open a streaming app, any streaming app, made it crash or freeze...

May 2020:      Roku rolls out Roku Media Player 5.0.  Now Roku Media Player does not work anymore.  Many of us complain and they revert it back to the old version.  I finally wised up and disconnected my device from the internet (after they reverted RMP) and started using my Amazon Fire TV for my streaming needs. 

July 2020:       Roku rolls out the Roku Media Player 5.0...again...and it sounds like it has many of the same problems.

I thank Roku for bringing me to my senses BEFORE I bought a Roku TV.  I don't appreciate what they've done to my Ultra, but screwing up my new TV with ridiculous updates would have been even worse. 

We simply cannot trust these guys to think through and/or sufficiently test an update. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@duffyb wrote:

'Play USB' is no better. This is an issue of Roku not supporting codecs it once did.

I haven't found any example of a codec/container that was supported and now isn't. Can you provide an example that I can test for?

Dan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@R-3Dreadnought wrote:

July 2020:       Roku rolls out the Roku Media Player 5.0...again...and it sounds like it has many of the same problems.

Well, the version is now 5.1, and to my knowledge the previous playback issues were all resolved. Yes, the UI is still "less than satisfactory", but everything I've seen still plays. Can you say what playback issue still exists? I'm not defending anything, I simply need to know in case I need to make changes to the Serviio Roku profiles. 

Dan
0 Kudos
R-3Dreadnought
Level 9

Hi atc98092,  I hope you are being compensated somehow for all your work on this forum.  You are always on the case Brother!  No wonder you're wife thinks you are getting grumpy.    Smiley Wink

I'm disconnected (happily), so all I know about the 5.1 version is what I have read on the forum the past couple days.  It sounds like the UI is the same as with 5.0, but 5.1 will actually recognize a USB drive and play media files. 

The 5.0 UI was not acceptable because it rendered the player un-useable for large media libraries...especially those with long file names...like mine and wingmanzz.

0 Kudos