Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

The developer has assured me that all comments about the UI will be considered and acted upon. For whatever reason, Roku had a deadline for the new player to be released, so they concentrated on resolving the playback issues first, and now they will work on the UI. 

I can see some potential with the new UI, but there are still many areas that need work. I believe that the concerns expressed will be addressed. As before, I strongly urge users to offer to beta test RMP and provide feedback. When you beta test RMP, you still have the standard version as well, so if problems appear you still have a workable player. Yes, that player now has the new UI, but give them a little time. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@atc98092 wrote:

give them a little time. 

Yeah, like we haven't given them enough time to resolve certain issues lately.

Highlighted
Level 21

@BarneyF wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

give them a little time. 

Yeah, like we haven't given them enough time to resolve certain issues lately.

If you're referring to the HBO mess, at least they have total control over RMP. I don't know why they had to get this version pushed out so quickly. Some higher executive must have made the call. But I know that @RokuChris and his team is aware of the UI complaints and will be working on them for the next update. How long, I have no idea. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

The Media Player update adds nothing, changes the graphics, and removes the following features:

- No longer possible to use the system screensaver when audio / music tracks are playing. The Roku Media player "screensaver" for audio / music playback has static elements that will вurn in (permanently damage) on OLED and plasma television screens, and cause image retention on LED screens ("Repeat All" and "Shuffle" buttons).

Update - It's even worse... the Roku Media Player "screensaver" turns off and resets at the start of every new track. Since it only turns on after about 5 minutes, this means that it will hardly run at all... if all tracks are less than 5 minutes in length it will never turn on. It would be highly inadvisable to use the player to play back big music track playlists for long periods of time with a plasma or OLED television. Not a problem at all with the original Roku Media Player. What a sad and unnecessary loss.

- When audio / music is playing, it's no longer possible to seek. You can only press the << or >> buttons to jump ahead or back 30 seconds.

- When you stop playback of an audio track and start playback again, the media player no longer remembers where you left off and starts back at the beginning. I guess people who listen to audio books and pod casts are going to need a pen and paper.

- In List view, track titles are much shorter than they were with the original media player; they only display about 20 to 30 characters. Long titles can no longer be read.

In all, this is a downgrade disguised as an upgrade.

Roku Media Player is the only option for a DLNA client on Roku. Amazon Fire is Android and can sideload apps, so users have choices there. I will be looking into switching.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Psilobite wrote:

The Media Player update adds nothing, changes the graphics, and removes the following features:

- No longer possible to use the system screensaver when audio / music tracks are playing. The Roku Media player "screensaver" for audio / music playback has static elements that will вurn in (permanently damage) on OLED and plasma television screens, and cause image retention on LED screens ("Repeat All" and "Shuffle" buttons).

- When audio / music is playing, it's no longer possible to seek. You can only press the << or >> buttons to jump ahead or back 30 seconds.

- When you stop playback of an audio track and start playback again, the media player no longer remembers where you left off and starts back at the beginning. I guess people who listen to audio books and pod casts are going to need a pen and paper.

- In List view, track titles are much shorter than they were with the original media player; they only display about 20 to 30 characters. Long titles can no longer be read.

In all, this is a downgrade disguised as an upgrade.

Roku Media Player is the only option for a DLNA client on Roku. Amazon Fire is Android and can sideload apps, so users have choices there. I will be looking into switching.

You have valid issues. This is why they need more beta testers, because not all users have the same needs and things get missed. I don't use RMP for music playback, so I just enabled my music library and did some tests. You are correct about everything listed. I had already noted the List view issue with the developer, and I expect the next version will address that. But your playback issues are much more important than general UI stuff. I'll make sure I test your issues when the next beta comes out. 

If anyone would be willing to beta test along with us, please send a private message to @RokuChris. I'm sure he'll be delighted to add you to the group.

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Why can't you put the old media player back out as a standalone app and let us have it back?  This new one really sucks and is totally unnecessary.  Call it "Roku Legacy Media Player" or something, but don't take it away.  At least give us a way to go back to the previous version and allow us to turn off updates for it.  

Highlighted
Level 9

I agree!  There was NOTHING wrong with the old version.  It worked.  I could always rely upon it working.  Easy to see, easy to use.

PLEASE give us a choice!

Highlighted
Level 11

Better yet, work out a deal with Kodi and VLC to give users a choice of the alternative players they would use on other devices.

Highlighted
Level 8

I agree with the VLC idea.  I'm looking to vote with my dollars and all the solutions I'm looking at use VLC as the player.  Any suggestions for someone that uses Roku only for RMP and SlingTV?  Apple is out since their sling app won't integrate airtv2 channels like Roku's does.  I'm thinking Nvidia...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@KSrB2000 wrote:

I agree with the VLC idea.  I'm looking to vote with my dollars and all the solutions I'm looking at use VLC as the player.  Any suggestions for someone that uses Roku only for RMP and SlingTV?  Apple is out since their sling app won't integrate airtv2 channels like Roku's does.  I'm thinking Nvidia...

VLC has stated they will not support a Roku app because the programming language they use doesn't readily port over to the Roku OS. Kodi would likely be the same issue. I do use the Nvidia Shield and Kodi for my two large 4K sets, but I still also use Roku players/TVs in other locations in my home. While I don't care for the new UI of RMP, I have no issues playing my media. I use Serviio as my DLNA server, which comes with Roku profiles that work quite well overall. Of course, I'm the author of those profiles, so I made sure they cover all the Roku shortcomings. And by that I mean codecs and containers that are not supported by the Roku OS. The only issue I have is with 4K UHD movie rips, because the Ethernet connection on my Ultras isn't fast enough for that bitrate. But for Blu Ray and DVD rips, I have no problems. 

Dan
0 Kudos