Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

Oh, I thought you could roll back to 4.0. I seem to have 5.0. But I had problems with 4.0. Maybe when things were working fine, I had 3.0.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@duffyb wrote:

Oh, I thought you could roll back to 4.0. I seem to have 5.0. But I had problems with 4.0. Maybe when things were working fine, I had 3.0.

Well, it depends on how long it's been since it was working fine. RMP has been a version of 4.x for well over a year, and probably even longer than that. But if you do a manual update, I'm certain that if you have 5.0 it will be rolled back to the last 4.x version.

I just checked the beta forum, and even in 2015 it was version 4.something. I'm not certain they ever had a publicly released version below 4.0.

Move the selector over RMP on the home page, then hit the * button. The version you have will be listed in the menu that appears. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

You say "for some of us testers, we don't use this the same way you do"?

What amazes me is that you state that as if that's an acceptable reason for this FUBAR.

Unless things have changed, when you have a product like this, knowing how the public uses it should be part of the basic research.

Because if you don't provide the public with a usable version of Roku, that works the way they are used to, especially since your 'reasoning' is beyond weak, they will go elsewhere.

When I first started looking at streaming players I purchased both a Roku and an Amazon Fire Stick. I eventually unplugged the Fire Stick because the Roku did everything I wanted, it was easier to use, etc.

But, I still have the Fire Stick. And, at this rate, I may just replace the Roku with the Fire Stick. My main reason was Roku had more channels than the Fire Stick did, but, from what I read, that gap is shrinking. FAST. And, if it comes down to sideloading an Android app onto the Fire Stick versus having to put up with a malfunctioning Roku device -- no matter who, technically, is at fault, which do you think I'll choose?

You built up all this good will over the years, but this blunder is going to destroy a lot of it, if not all of it. Is it worth it? I'd love to see the cost/benefit analysis that told you this was a good move.

Highlighted
Level 21

@Rej_L wrote:

You say "for some of us testers, we don't use this the same way you do"?

What amazes me is that you state that as if that's an acceptable reason for this FUBAR.

No, I didn't mean to imply it was acceptable. I'm simply saying that the few users that are helping to beta test didn't encounter this scenario. I'm sure Roku would love to have additional beta testers. Send a private message to @RokuChris and ask.

The great thing about beta testing RMP is the the public version remains on your device, so if there's a severe problem you haven't lost the ability to play your media. Often beta testers lose the older, tested version of whatever is being tested.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have to heartily agree with Rej_L on this.   My Roku Ultra worked FLAWLESSLY out of the box and you guys have sabotaged it with software updates.  So much so that I have disconnected it from the internet in order to protect it from you and gone back to my Amazon Fire TV for my streaming needs.

I liken the situation to buying a car and having the dealer come over and install shiny new wheels without my consent...only to find out that the tires on the new wheels are punctured.  Sure, the new wheels look nice, but I can no longer drive the car.

You then throw me a bone and offer to make me a beta tester.  I paid to use the device, not to help you un-necessarily redesign it.  The only change you needed to make to RMP in my opinion is to provide some indication where you are in the movie (like a thumbnail or something) when you are fast-forwarding or rewinding it (in addition to the hour/second listing).

The comments I have seen on this thread show that your customers are EXTREMELY generous and forgiving...many of them making excuses for you and calling un-workable software updates "progress" regardless of the results.

I suspect there are lots of folks out there like me who are pissed off but who did not take the time to explain their frustration.  Hope this is helpful, all the best.

Highlighted
Level 21

@R-3Dreadnought wrote:

I have to heartily agree with Rej_L on this.   My Roku Ultra worked FLAWLESSLY out of the box and you guys have sabotaged it with software updates.  So much so that I have disconnected it from the internet in order to protect it from you and gone back to my Amazon Fire TV for my streaming needs.

I liken the situation to buying a car and having the dealer come over and install shiny new wheels without my consent...only to find out that the tires on the new wheels are punctured.  Sure, the new wheels look nice, but I can no longer drive the car.

You then throw me a bone and offer to make me a beta tester.  I paid to use the device, not to help you un-necessarily redesign it.  The only change you needed to make to RMP in my opinion is to provide some indication where you are in the movie (like a thumbnail or something) when you are fast-forwarding or rewinding it (in addition to the hour/second listing).

The comments I have seen on this thread show that your customers are EXTREMELY generous and forgiving...many of them making excuses for you and calling un-workable software updates "progress" regardless of the results.

I suspect there are lots of folks out there like me who are pissed off but who did not take the time to explain their frustration.  Hope this is helpful, all the best.

Well, I doubt the RMP developer is still reading this thread. All the early posts provided the information needed to go back and try again. If you are addressing me, I'm simply another owner that offered to help beta test RMP many years ago. I didn't support them releasing 5.0 as it was, but I had missed that they were releasing it until this thread appeared. I do know that they're working hard to resolve the issues that were identified. 

I hope you might consider assisting them with the beta version. They need more testers, and as I said while it's still in beta you continue to have the current version available. So if the beta still isn't working for you, the public version does everything it has done for the last couple of years. 

I don't agree that RMP is fine as is. There's wasted screen space, it takes longer than necessary to buffer a video, and overall the user interface is dull. While I applaud and support their effort to update it, the result just wasn't ready. And with the handful of public beta testers, there just aren't enough people that use it in different ways to help ensure it works for everyone. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello atc98092, I appreciate your thoughtful comment and assumed you were one of the generous/forgiving owners offering up solutions.

I suspect you are right that the developers are no longer reading this thread and that is part of the problem.  What the customer thinks should be the most important consideration in my opinion.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I use my Roku Ultra  in my RV. I use the RMP to play video from a connected hard drive. I use the remote earbuds as to not disturb my spouse who does not like falling asleep to the tv. I normally watch for about 30 minutes, then turn off the power to the television and continue to listen to the audio play through the remote earbuds. Since reconnecting the Roku last week and getting all the updates, I can no longer continue listening to the audio when I turn the television off. I've discovered that when I turn the TV off, the RMP stops and it goes back to the Roku home screen. I'm showing RMP version 4.2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@morgandy75 wrote:

I use my Roku Ultra  in my RV. I use the RMP to play video from a connected hard drive. I use the remote earbuds as to not disturb my spouse who does not like falling asleep to the tv. I normally watch for about 30 minutes, then turn off the power to the television and continue to listen to the audio play through the remote earbuds. Since reconnecting the Roku last week and getting all the updates, I can no longer continue listening to the audio when I turn the television off. I've discovered that when I turn the TV off, the RMP stops and it goes back to the Roku home screen. I'm showing RMP version 4.2

That is completely off topic for this thread, but let me see if we can quickly resolve the issue.

That sounds like the CEC function of your TV and Roku are talking to each other, and the TV is saying it is turning off so stop playback. So, you should be able to disable that from happening by going into the TV menu (not the Roku) and find the CEC settings and either disable it completely or see if there's a setting that only controls powering off other devices. 

The reason I say not the Roku menu, is because it only has a setting labeled One Touch Play. All it does is enable pressing a button on the Roku remote and cause the TV to power on (if it's off) and change to the Roku input. I don't know if disabling that function will stop the TV from sending a CEC control back to the Roku.

Now, what does your TV call CEC? Every brand uses something different, so I can't say for sure. Samsung calls it Anynet+, but I can't recall what other brands might use. And with any luck, it's just labeled CEC on yours. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Thank you very much for the reply.

Yes, I've already checked the ces. I'll double check to make sure I've got it disabled. Another thing I forgot to.mention is that it only seems to be happening on the RMP channel. Other channels don't seem to be affected.

I also have a Roku 3 on another TV in the RV. This one does something a little different. Audio shuts off, but video continues to play. 

0 Kudos