Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

@R-3Dreadnought wrote:

Hi atc98092,  I hope you are being compensated somehow for all your work on this forum.  You are always on the case Brother!  No wonder you're wife thinks you are getting grumpy.    Smiley Wink

I'm disconnected (happily), so all I know about the 5.1 version is what I have read on the forum the past couple days.  It sounds like the UI is the same as with 5.0, but 5.1 will actually recognize a USB drive and play media files. 

The 5.0 UI was not acceptable because it rendered the player un-useable for large media libraries...especially those with long file names...like mine and wingmanzz.

Nah, they don't pay me anything. They can't afford my hourly rate. Smiley Very Happy Since I'm teleworking full time, I'm at a computer virtually me entire waking period, so I keep an eye on my emails from this forum. 

But even though my primary media player is now the Nvidia Shield, I'm still a strong support of Roku. I still have two TVs and three players in my house, and a couple of my old ones my grandkids are using at their home. And an old 2 XS taking up space in a drawer. Smiley Happy

Yes, 5.1 still has the same UI as the previous 5.0. The developer told me he had a deadline to issue the new version, and the playback issues were a higher priority, as they should be.

Yes, to my knowledge there's no longer any issue playing media from a USB device. I have a few 4K test videos on a USB stick on my 4640 and I can play the 120 Mbps without issue. The 160 Mbps has occasional buffering, but that's not the fault of RMP. That's a limitation of the hardware itself. 

Using a DLNA server reduces the issue with long file names in most cases. That's because the server just sends the title, and ignores whatever the actual file name includes. But that also depends on how the DLNA server is set up for presentation. With Serviio, when I look at Titles (movies) or series (TV shows), even in the RMP list view I can see enough of the title to know exactly what I'm selecting. In Grid view, the names are even worse to view, except when you select a title (but before you press OK) the full title is displayed across the top of the screen, and in those presentations I haven't found any title that was truncated. Playlists or folder view are a different matter, since for TV episodes you have the name, season/episode, and then title. An in folder view, you do see the entire file name, same as when you browse a USB drive. If the Show name and episode name gets too long, those could still get clipped at the end. And I'm not really sure why, since there's still almost a third of the screen width that could be used but is blank.

But those are some of the UI issues I'll be watching for to help with the next beta version.  

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
huguetguy
Level 8

Just got the dreaded 5.1 RMP update and now I hate the UI! I can't tell what episode is what in a list because it only uses half the freaking screen width to display the file names! What a dumb UI design. It's like we've gone back to Windows 3.1 days or something. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@huguetguy wrote:

Just got the dreaded 5.1 RMP update and now I hate the UI! I can't tell what episode is what in a list because it only uses half the freaking screen width to display the file names! What a dumb UI design. It's like we've gone back to Windows 3.1 days or something. 

Grid view should help as it has more space across the top for the title as you move the cursor over a selection. Of course, that reduces what you see overlying the cover art. Trade one for the other. Hopefully they will get to work on the UI quickly. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
huguetguy
Level 8

Yeah now I can't remember what was different about the old list view... I was just able to see more of the file name at a glance like blah blah blah S01E02-Thanksgiving so I could quickly go to the one in the list that I remember us watching and start there.

0 Kudos
morgandy75
Level 9

My Roku 3 automatically updated to 5.1

I now am unable to get audio on most video with a connected USB drive. Some seem to be fine, others not. These same videos all played fine before today. I've had them for years. 

I'd love it if they stopped trying to 'fix' things. Now the app on my Roku 3 is useless. I have my Roku Ultra disconnected from the network. I don't want any more updates.

0 Kudos
morgandy75
Level 9

I don't think I updated you on the response from Roku regarding my issue with the RMP reverting back to home screen after turning off the TV. We'll, they told me that they don't know why I was able to do this for all these years. They said the Roku box was never made to be able to do this. Maybe they thought I was making it up. I promise I was not. I miss waking up in the middle of the night, tv off, and pressing play to start the movie all over again.  Funny thing, it still works that way with Netflix. 

wingmanzz
Level 8

Mine just isnt the UI though--the UI for my case is not HORRIBLE, but the lack of a skip track is beyond understanding for me.

The performance simply isnt there--it simply no longer works at all properly with my Synology DLNA media server, where before it worked great.

I cannot load all my my media and shuffle it. It just cant do it.

0 Kudos
Bob2050x
Level 9

Does anyone know how to stop the new RMP from auto playing the next video in a folder using DLNA with a NAS connected to a router?  The only auto play setting that I did find is now turned off but that did not fix it.  I have looked at the menu and I can't find it.  If you happen to fall asleep while watching something, it will now just run through the entire folder as far as I can tell.  I want it to stop after watching a video file like the older, BETTER RMP did.

Thanks.

KSrB2000
Level 9

@Bob2050x wrote:

Does anyone know how to stop the new RMP from auto playing the next video in a folder using DLNA with a NAS connected to a router?  The only auto play setting that I did find is now turned off but that did not fix it.  I have looked at the menu and I can't find it.  If you happen to fall asleep while watching something, it will now just run through the entire folder as far as I can tell.  I want it to stop after watching a video file like the older, BETTER RMP did.

Thanks.

It is a known issue.  It has been reported to the developers in the beta channel, but due to a deadline where they had to release it was unable to be addressed before then.  They had to focus on playback issues.

0 Kudos
huguetguy
Level 8

That is an asinine approach to software development, typical waterfall project manager thinking...dates over working software!