Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 13

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

Plex is the obvious substitute to play your own content if you are able to control the server.  I used to be annoyed by Plex asking for money every time I tried it on a different device, but the server, roku, android tv, and web clients are all free to use and you can use the phone/tablet versions as controllers.  It will also act as a DLNA server for other clients/devices.   Other than using a different device as the controller with plex I guess I like Kodi's user interface best - but it will not retrieve photos over DLNA.  VLC does not have a great user interface and also fails with photos.

0 Kudos
Level 11

@lesmikesell wrote:

Plex is the obvious substitute to play your own content

I keep reading this over and over and frankly, I'm getting extremely sick of it. I run DLNA servers on NAS devices. Plex DOES NOT READ content from DLNA servers. I'm not going to run a Plex server on a desktop or laptop computer when DLNA has worked perfectly for me for years on other devices and also on the ORIGINAL Roku Media Player. I'll switch to Fire where I have a choice of DLNA client apps / channels instead. I had gotten mislead when I first started reading about everybody saying to use Plex and installed the channel thinking I was doing something wrong since it wouldn't recognize my DLNA servers. Nope. It was people posting misleading information.

0 Kudos
Level 11

@atc98092 wrote:

The developer has assured me that all comments about the UI will be considered and acted upon. For whatever reason, Roku had a deadline for the new player to be released, so they concentrated on resolving the playback issues first, and now they will work on the UI. 

The player replaces the user's original software, without the user having a choice, other than disconnecting the Roku from the Internet. When doing something like this, the user friendly and professional thing to do is to make sure ALL functionality from the previous version still works, or is improved. Instead, they fixed ONLY problems associated with playback, then did the release BEFORE all the other issues were resolved. So the result is users getting something they didn't want, didn't ask for, and that has significant REMOVED functionality from what they had before. This combined with the HBO Max unavailability reflects very poor decisions and therefore is going to cost Roku as a company.

Level 11

Just discovered the screensaver issue is even worse... the Roku Media Player "screensaver" turns off and resets at the start of every new track. Since it only turns on after about 5 minutes, this means that it will hardly run at all... if all tracks are less than 5 minutes in length it will never turn on. It would be highly inadvisable to use the player to play back big music track playlists for long periods of time with a plasma or OLED television. Not a problem at all with the original Roku Media Player. What a sad and unnecessary loss.

Level 21

@Psilobite wrote:

The player replaces the user's original software, without the user having a choice, other than disconnecting the Roku from the Internet. When doing something like this, the user friendly and professional thing to do is to make sure ALL functionality from the previous version still works, or is improved. Instead, they fixed ONLY problems associated with playback, then did the release BEFORE all the other issues were resolved. So the result is users getting something they didn't want, didn't ask for, and that has significant REMOVED functionality from what they had before. This combined with the HBO Max unavailability reflects very poor decisions and therefore is going to cost Roku as a company.

I don't disagree with anything you list. It is frustrating that Roku required their developer to release RMP 5.1 with so many identified issues. I don't understand the reasoning behind it. 

I do understand the desire to keep users running on the latest software versions, both for the OS and individual programs. There's a great benefit to ensuring everyone is running the same versions. But that implies the versions they make available are functioning correctly and don't depreciate the functionality with the updated versions. As you noted, they still have some significant issues with RMP that should have been identified earlier. That is a problem with such a small cadre of beta testers, as some features don't get tested because they aren't something usually used by a user.

I too feel that Plex isn't a substitute for playing my local media, as it is lacking functionality that I deem necessary for my use. In my case, RMP is meeting my requirements. But I can completely understand the frustration that other users have with the encountered problems. I will do my best to assist Roku to test the next version when it hits beta testing again. I only hope that additional users will offer to beta test as well to help cover all the different use cases that are encountered.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 13

Just curious: what functionality does RMP have that Plex lacks? 

0 Kudos
Level 21

@lesmikesell wrote:

Probably the single biggest thing for me is playing one movie after another. Plex will do that with TV episodes, but not movies. The wife goes to sleep with them playing, sometimes TV shows, sometimes movies. And they need to keep playing until I come to bed. The next thing, almost as important, is support for PLS and M3U playlists. I have playlists built for myself and family members, with the titles listed in the order desired. RMP will play them exactly how I build the list. Plex won't even acknowledge their existence. Plex does have a playlist function, but it's built into their web interface and doesn't use PLS files. On my Shield players, Kodi sees the playlists, but reorders them alphabetically instead of leaving them in the order I create. But it least it sees and plays them.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 11

@lesmikesell wrote:

The ability to function as a DLNA client.

Level 13

@Psilobite wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

The ability to function as a DLNA client.

But assuming it is your content and your server, that is something you control.  And on the server side, plex does a pretty good job of serving DLNA clients on other devices so it can replace other servers (I still have a serviio instance running from a time when it couldn't, but haven't accessed it for a couple of years).

0 Kudos
Level 21

I have DLNA disabled on my Plex servers, as I don't want them cluttering the players on my network. The other issue for me personally is the control I have over transcoding with Serviio. As I've mentioned before, I'm the author of the Roku profiles included with Serviio. And I am continually making updates and improvements, based on user reports and my own use. I'm still attempting to find out if Roku is going to bitstream TrueHD now, or if their players are simply converting it to DD+. That appears to be happening with my Ultra 4640, but since it has a DD encoder, I am never sure if that's what is making the change. If they will support bitstreaming it, then RMP and other apps will need to be modified to pass it through.

If TrueHD is going to bitstream, then I'll be creating a new set of Roku profiles for Serviio for users with AVRs that support bitstreaming, as well as disabling transcoding for DTS Master Audio. In most cases, Roku players will already pass the DTS lossy core, so transcoding isn't needed. But I still have some videos that balk at it, so I've left it alone for now. 

Dan
0 Kudos