Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

I don't understand why this needs to be changed? You've just created headaches for everybody.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

BarneyF, What media players do you have that no longer function due to lack of support?

Highlighted
Level 11

@R-3Dreadnought wrote:

BarneyF, What media players do you have that no longer function due to lack of support?

Western Digital WDTV, Oppo BDP-103, a Vizio Blu-Ray player. Apps are abandoned and out of date and can't be updated to anything usable. I'm not saying the WDTVs aren't still used for holding DVD rips, or the Oppo for BD and media player, but as far as apps, they're dead.

The Oppo is actually a much better media player than the Roku. If the Roku had slo-mo and fast speeds, A-B repeat, single file repeat as well as repeat all, transitions to apply for photo slideshows, 90-180-270 degree rotate on photo display, the ability to read from file shares as well as DLNA servers and attached drives, multiple zoom and aspect ratios, then maybe Roku should slow down on the updates. But they have a long way to go to catch up. I don't care if they occasionally screw the pooch. It's progress.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

A big THANK YOU to Roku for rolling back RMP to the old version.  And a big THANK YOU for all of the "Kudos" from the community.

BTW, I prefer the old icons and such as compared to the new version.  And of what I could see of the new version, I did not like the way the files and folders were organized.

I love the suggestions of either giving us the option to use the old version or the new version being our choice, or the ability for us to be able to roll back to a previous version, and/or whether or not we want to receive updates.

We have become so used to just accepting any type of update from a company even though some companies actually give us an option to opt out.

If a great security risk arises then okay get the update but some others are unwanted and not necessary.

And HOW MANY TIMES has a company rolled out some update that either breaks what we have until they roll out a fix OR renders the device completely useless turning it into the next electronic device headed to a landfill?

BTW I have 5 older Roku boxes that RMP is probably the only app that still works on them.  One of them is the original design and still works.  I have been a Roku user almost from the beginning.

Highlighted

BarneyF,  I hear you and appreciate the response.  I smiled a little bit as I read your response though as I actually broke out my old WDTV when the roku media player went down last night.  Worked fine after years of sitting in the closet.  Too funny.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I understand.  I tend to hang on to old working electronics.  I almost went and got out one of my old boxes to give it a try.  The old ones just might be too old to get a forced newer version of RMP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Checked out my Roku 3s, and RMP is now back working again on DLNA with the older version of software.

Hopefully they will continue to do so, and any future updates will take into consideration the numerous comments and suggestions made on this site.

There may also be some willing beta testers around here as well!!

ROKU ON!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Oh, wow, they react fast. I noticed a new icons of the player, and now it is back to old ones. Good work so quick reaction on feedback from users.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I loved the new app! Finally videos played AUTOMATICALLY after finishing one. This feature should be implemented on the old. version if they are sticking with it. 

very disappointed to turn my tv on to find the old version. Please at least give an option to upgrade! The new version was so much better. 

0 Kudos
Level 20

@702vegas wrote:

I loved the new app! Finally videos played AUTOMATICALLY after finishing one. This feature should be implemented on the old. version if they are sticking with it. 

very disappointed to turn my tv on to find the old version. Please at least give an option to upgrade! The new version was so much better. 

That is already there in the older version. After you've selected a title, but before beginning playback, hit the * button and turn Repeat All on. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos