Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

Whoever did this last update was MASSIVELY incompetent.

I can understand having an issue or two, but it sounds like they have no idea how people even use their device. Nothing works right anymore outside of third party stuff like Netflix etc...

Level 8

You may need to restart before the rollback takes effect.

I ha to do that to get mine to work.

Highlighted

I was having the exact same problem with the new update. Now low and behold the old version is back and the update is gone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Gerry_Wisconsin wrote:

I was having the exact same problem with the new update. Now low and behold the old version is back and the update is gone.

Yep, 5.0 needs some work...

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I still don't understand. What amazing new features were being added that caused them to force this untested update on everyone? I see no new features being added, just a lot of popular features being taken away. I'm glad they rolled back to the previous version that was stable and usable though.

Highlighted
Level 20

I believe that RMP needs a refresh. There are many places the user interface could be improved. It also appears that Roku has added support for Dolby TrueHD in OS 9.3, so that would be a worthwhile addition to RMP. 

I can say that 5.0 was tested. I spent hours testing different media types from my DLNA server. And I reported many issues that were resolved with earlier updates. For me, 5.0 was working fine. However, my use case isn't the same as some of yours, as I never use the USB port for playing media. SRT files have never worked for me with a Roku player, but that might be something specific with my DLNA server, so again, I didn't encounter an issue. 

So yes, RMP needs a refresh, even if no new features are added. But I also agree that what worked in the past needs to remain. I have no doubt that Roku will go back, take all these comments, and ensure each is addressed before 5.0 comes back.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I've never experienced a situation like this.  Usually a product sucks from the beginning and you move onto something better.  In this case, my 4660x Roku Ultra was amazing at the beginning and has been destroyed by software updates.

There I am bragging to my friends and family about how stable and reliable my 4660x-Roku Ultra is, only to be confronted with the 9.2.0 software update...which rendered my ultra nearly unusable for months.  I adapted by no longer using the streaming service apps (which wouldn’t load or crashed after the 9.2.0 update) and using it as an expensive media server via roku media player.  Now they go and break roku media player without adding any useful functionality so it will have a different "look and feel?"  I don’t care how it looks, I just want it to work.

My roku media player reverted to the old version last night (Thank God) and I have disconnected my ultra from the internet permanently.  No more updates from these guys.  If they want me back, they will have to give me an option to turn down automatic updates or at least require my consent to update. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The new version that they released seems like a bad April Fool's joke.  At least they had the sense to pull it after all the complaints about it that I read here.  I've never been on a user's group for anything, but I was appalled that they put that thing out with a serious loss of functionality and a hideous interface.  No longer being able to put things in a column instead of rows and putting huge icons that really are unnecessary.  It may look new and shiny, but the previous version had it beat hands down.  If they do implement that stupid version again in the future, I'm going to have to look at other apps that I may even have to pay for.  

IF IT AIN"T BROKE... DON'T FIX IT Roku!!!

Highlighted
Level 11

@R-3Dreadnought wrote:

I've never experienced a situation like this.  Usually a product sucks from the beginning and you move onto something better.  In this case, my 4660x Roku Ultra was amazing at the beginning and has been destroyed by software updates.

There I am bragging to my friends and family about how stable and reliable my 4660x-Roku Ultra is, only to be confronted with the 9.2.0 software update...which rendered my ultra nearly unusable for months.  I adapted by no longer using the streaming service apps (which wouldn’t load or crashed after the 9.2.0 update) and using it as an expensive media server via roku media player.  Now they go and break roku media player without adding any useful functionality so it will have a different "look and feel?"  I don’t care how it looks, I just want it to work.

My roku media player reverted to the old version last night (Thank God) and I have disconnected my ultra from the internet permanently.  No more updates from these guys.  If they want me back, they will have to give me an option to turn down automatic updates or at least require my consent to update. 

I've got Blu-Ray and media players and all kinds of stuff that's withering away and dying for lack of support and useless apps that will never be updated again. Be careful what you wish for. At least complaints were listened to and it was pulled the SAME day. Boo **bleep**ing hoo. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@born2strat wrote:

The new version that they released seems like a bad April Fool's joke.  At least they had the sense to pull it after all the complaints about it that I read here.  I've never been on a user's group for anything, but I was appalled that they put that thing out with a serious loss of functionality and a hideous interface.  No longer being able to put things in a column instead of rows and putting huge icons that really are unnecessary.  It may look new and shiny, but the previous version had it beat hands down.  If they do implement that stupid version again in the future, I'm going to have to look at other apps that I may even have to pay for.  

The list view was/is still there, it just wasn't enabled by default. It is changed in the menu before selecting a source device.

Roku only has a handful of user beta testers, and I have no idea how many employees work on RMP. I suggest requesting to join the beta group to help them out. Send a private message to RokuChris and offer to help. The nice thing about testing the beta is that it doesn't replace the public version of RMP, so if there's a problem you still have that to use.

I spent hours testing the beta, and it was/is working fine from my DLNA server. When I connected a USB drive with a handful of videos, they too play fine. So I'm surprised by the number of people that said nothing worked for them. Different people use RMP in different ways. The more beta testers they can get can only help improve the end product. And I could use some help convincing them their layout still needs some work. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
0 Kudos