Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow to hopefully get back to last working version. Was very happy with it as it was!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

I checked on my Sharp smart tv with built in Roku.

When I first turned on the tv, it seemed to be stuck in a loop. It would turn on, go to the app menu, then the tv shut down and did a hard reboot. This happened 4 times in a row. Finally, I was able to select the * button on the remote and select "Check for updates" from the displayed menu. 

The Roku Media Player did update and roll back to the previous version.

I'm actually able to watch my media files again.

Thanks everyone

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

Media Player rolled back & working again! Thank you.

It maybe a bit clunky but the old version works for nearly everyone so please don't try & fix something that isn't broken. I suggest that in future ROKU provide the option to choose to update & to roll back on this key app rather than deciding for us & causing so much grief!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

That's the point of beta testing, to explore every facet of the application to ensure that it is 100% functional.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

The more I used the new version, the more oddities I found. Not sure if they were 'bugs' or 'features'. I've now updated to the old version, thanks to the advice on this thread.

I noticed that when a video finished, the player immediately auto-played the next video in the folder, rather than return to the springboard screen. I assumed I'd accidentally switched on some kind of auto-play option, but no, couldn't find any such option. Just now checked the classic version, and it doesn't auto-play. So... was this a bug, or a feature? Did anyone else get this behaviour?

Can I make a suggestion? It seems that the USB and subtitles support is causing the most problems. Might it be possible to clone the original version into a new channel -- 'Media Player Classic' -- and leave it as it is(?) Then those of us who just want the USB/subtitle support can install the classic channel, so we don't hold back updates on the main channel. That would take a lot of the pressure off of the developers to address those audiences, allowing them to take their time and hopefully build a more robust solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken


@javakid wrote:

The more I used the new version, the more oddities I found. Not sure if they were 'bugs' or 'features'. I've now updated to the old version, thanks to the advice on this thread.

I noticed that when a video finished, the player immediately auto-played the next video in the folder, rather than return to the springboard screen. I assumed I'd accidentally switched on some kind of auto-play option, but no, couldn't find any such option. Just now checked the classic version, and it doesn't auto-play. So... was this a bug, or a feature? Did anyone else get this behavior?


The current "old" version also has a switch to enable auto-play. It's not a new function. The new version has the same switch, but I can't say for sure where it was located. The menus are changed on the new version.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

While mine has been rolled back to Version 4.2 - Build 1657, the problems still exist.  When I go into the USB Device and select a folder it shows a black screen and states:

No compatible videos found in: Folder Name (0)

Press * to change filters

EVERY. SINGLE. FOLDER.  Further, the ONE folder i can actually access, it has changed the sorting from the title to what was in the Comment field.  NOT OK! Fix this!!!!

 

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken


@atc98092 wrote:


The current "old" version also has a switch to enable auto-play. It's not a new function. The new version has the same switch, but I can't say for sure where it was located. The menus are changed on the new version.


On the new version it was located via [*] on the media screen -- the screen that let's you choose between different USB devices. I assumed it was that setting, yet it was showing as 'off', and the next video still played regardless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken


@paulg612 wrote:

While mine has been rolled back to Version 4.2 - Build 1657, the problems still exist.  When I go into the USB Device and select a folder it shows a black screen and states:

No compatible videos found in: Folder Name (0)

Press * to change filters

EVERY. SINGLE. FOLDER.  Further, the ONE folder i can actually access, it has changed the sorting from the title to what was in the Comment field.  NOT OK! Fix this!!!!


I dug out a USB drive that has a few test videos and plugged it into my Ultra 4640. With both 4.2 and 5.0 the videos played without error. You might run a scan on your USB device and make sure it hasn't been corrupted. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

My Roku keeps losing contact with the usb drive and I can no longer play videos after the last update. Not much use having a video player that won't play videos.

They have REALLY screwed this up. They must have done zero testing before releasing this update.

Does anyone know if they are even working on the problem?

0 Kudos