Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

While admittedly the old player was starting to look very outdated, it was far more preferable to this new version. Seems like they rolled out a beta version by accident. (I think it might be time to check out some of the alternative media players on the channel store -- any recommendations?)

I'm also running into problems with subtitles on MP4 files. They just don't work!

There's also a lot of other new UI changes that cause issues. If you have a lot files with a common name (like episodes of an old movie serial, or a tv show) the filenames are arbitrarily truncated well before they get to the unique "episode one", "episode two" bit at the end. Given how vast the negative space is on the UI, there's actually no reason why the space used to list folder contents needs to be restricted to approximately just 1/4th of the screen width -- slim down the left menu and expand the filename area so it reaches the right margin.

Also, there should be an option to display filenames only on the folder screen, not the metadata titles inside the files. Not all files have sensible metadata titles, and as a user it is a lot easier to change a filename to something meaningful than it is the metadata. By all means display the metadata name on the springboard screen, but give us an option to only see filenames on the folder screens.

I've been using the media player almost daily thanks to the current lock-in situation, working through my collection of classic b+w movie serials. It's such a shame to suddenly find it downgraded to a beta release. The old player wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Highlighted
Level 20

@makaiguy wrote:

One more feedback item I don't think has been mentioned yet:  They added the ability to mark a networked DLNA server as default.  At least I see this, maybe it's not there if the Roku finds only one.   GREAT IDEA.  Only trouble is I haven't been able to make it work.  Every time I go in I have to choose a server all over again.

That function was actually in (and functioning in) the previous version as well. But yes, it's not working in 5.0. Roku really needs to roll this back and resolve these issues. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 20

@javakid wrote:

While admittedly the old player was starting to look very outdated, it was far more preferable to this new version. Seems like they rolled out a beta version by accident. (I think it might be time to check out some of the alternative media players on the channel store -- any recommendations?)

If you are playing from a DLNA server, there really is no other choice. For USB playback, there might be. However, since Roku first offered RMP, the other players were all pretty much left behind, and I'm uncertain how much (if any) they've been updated.

Don't forget that there's also Plex and Emby as a media source, and they both have well working Roku channels. But that does require a PC running the server side of those programs. At least they both have free versions. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

@atc98092 wrote:

@javakid wrote:

If you are playing from a DLNA server, there really is no other choice. For USB playback, there might be. However, since Roku first offered RMP, the other players were all pretty much left behind, and I'm uncertain how much (if any) they've been updated.

That's good information to know. Thanks. I'm in the fortunate position of only using a USB right now, so I'll maybe take a look at the other players. I was actually thinking about setting up a DLNA sometime soon, but in light of what you've told me I might delay that.

I have a collection full of classic b+w movies, serials, and tv shows from around the world, which I had the foresight to start transferring to MP4s a few years back. The problem is "King of the Rocket Men (Republic, 1949) Ch01" is now truncated as "King of the Rocket Men (Re...", which basically means all dozen 'chapters' have the same displayed name and you're left line counting to guess the right file. (And the springboard screen likewise truncates the name.)

Another feature I noticed they changed is the 'resume' option. Previously you only had to play a couple of seconds into a file (then quit) before it offered the resume option. Now you have to play a fair bit in before the option appears. I guess this is a sensible change, but it is a bit annoying -- I used to use (abuse?) the resume option as a bookmark to remind me which episode was next to view. Now it takes a little bit more effort to mark the file.

The more I use the new version the more I realise what it has taken away, and how little it has added. Oh well. :-(

0 Kudos
Level 20

If you are considering a DLNA server, one of my recommendations is Serviio (www.serviio.org). I'm not affiliated with it or the developer, but I did write the profiles used for Roku devices. Right now, RMP 5 works just fine with Serviio as my DLNA server.

I provided significant feedback to Roku while they were developing RMP 5 for use with DLNA, so I would expect other DLNA servers to work in general. But with Serviio, I know precisely what the profiles need to do for Roku devices, so Serviio is well tailored for them. 

One area I didn't test was SRT files, as I don't use them. RMP 5 plays embedded EIA-608 captions perfectly, as it did with the previous version. RMP has never supported graphics based captions, such as what DVDs and Blu Ray discs use. I do have a couple of movies with SRT files, and I just tried two (MKV container) without success. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I cannot play video from the usb, yesterday 05-14-2020 I was watching videos from the usb, today I tried to play the video and the app closes

Highlighted
Level 11

Do an update:

Settings -> System -> System Update -> Check Now

I just received the rolled back previous version of Roku Media Player. Hopefully this will get everybody up and running again.

Roku Media Player 5 worked mostly fine for me via DLNA, except for the screensaver issue. While the USB issues are a top priority to get fixed, if Roku Media Player 5 (when it gets republished) doesn't have a "Use System Screensaver" option or at the very least updates its internal screensaver to not have static elements on the screen, I won't be using it any more for music.

Highlighted
Level 8

Noticed today 15/5/20 Roku had updated to new interface. Tried to open Roku Media Player to access my DLNA files. Image changed to new Icon, then no further.  No choice available!

Was returned back to Media Player initial page after a minute without progressing to media choice option (music, video or photo) as in the past. 

Tried a number of times, but no success.

Help, what's happened??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Update the app, now app has rolled back to previous version that was working fine. 

Yes interface is a bit old but don't change what works well!! And for God sake, if you are going to push a wide spread update test you app on different platform to insure it works as expected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Yes!!! roku rolled it back, my srt files are working now with my video files!!  dont update and get better beta testers. 

0 Kudos