Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

@Gary-94080 wrote:

please provide an option for the updated media player to go into screensaver mode when playing audio files. I would rather see the Roku fish tank than Roku "Pong".

just so it doesn't get overlooked, make sure automatic track changes don't trigger it out of screensaver mode.

I do like that there is a way to advance in an audio file.

It should be really easy to add. "Use system screensaver" check box. And I'm betting they won't add it.

What is the DLNA player on Amazon devices like?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I'm having issues with the Roku Media Player Update as well ...

• The search functionality does not find any items when doing a wild card search for any of the categories: filename, title, etc.
  • It errors out that the device media is unavailable periodically
  • Not a functional defect, but the App icon doesn't appear in the home area, just a default empty GIF

I'm a big fan of Roku, but surprised that you would push your own media app with core functional bugs like this.

Highlighted

Don't use them the same way we do? We plug a USB drive into the USB port on our Roku TV. The USB drive has an assortment of media files in various file types. The Roku Media Player is supposed to play those media files.

The Roku Media Player is displaying an error message that the USB drive is no longer supported. How did it not occur to you to test the basic function for which the media player was designed to perform? 

You have basically one product. The Roku Media Player. It's available in a few varieties, but the core is the media player. It's literally the only product your company has. And you broke it by forcing an update that you admit was not tested. You made the one product your company has to offer completely unusable.

Think about it.

Highlighted
Level 11

@atc98092 wrote:

Just a note to everyone. Yes, this was tested before hand. But for some of us testers, we don't use them in the same way that you do

Then it wasn't really "tested" before hand, was it? To frustrated users like me, this reads like a gas lighting kind of statement.

The only acceptable move from Roku is to roll back the media player to the previous version, and not publish the new one until it actually is properly tested. And, they should publicly apologize for this mishap.

Highlighted
Level 7

I have a Roku 2 and the Media Player is now totally useless.  Please fix it.

Highlighted
Level 20

@Psilobite wrote:

What is the DLNA player on Amazon devices like?

Fire TV doesn't have a default DLNA player. There are some apps available, such as VLC, which is an excellent player. Kodi can be installed as well as a side load. That would be my recommendation for a Fire TV device. There are some others as well, but it's been quite some time since I've had my hands on one so can't really say what else might be available.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Psilobite wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

Just a note to everyone. Yes, this was tested before hand. But for some of us testers, we don't use them in the same way that you do

Then it wasn't really "tested" before hand, was it? To frustrated users like me, this reads like a gas lighting kind of statement.

The only acceptable move from Roku is to roll back the media player to the previous version, and not publish the new one until it actually is properly tested. And, they should publicly apologize for this mishap.

Didn't mean to come across that way, so apologies if I did. I'm merely stating that the community beta testers (not Roku employees) might not be able to test every functionality, as it doesn't fall within our normal usage. I tested it once with a USB thumb drive, but that's not my usual usage. Remember that only the Ultra has a USB port for the latest players, although some older players have one as well.

I have also asked Roku to roll back to the previous version. You all have provided some valuable criteria for functionality testing, and I'm sure that Roku would like to get them resolved. My only comment about the Roku developer is that this person took over from the original developer only recently, as the original person retired. I've assumed projects begun by others before, and it can be daunting it step into something cold. Let's give them a chance to make it right. But they do need to roll back to the previous version first. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 8

Just a note. I'm new to the community. I work in technology as well, so my comment wasn't meant as a 'dig' just meant as constructive criticism.

• My usage is pretty common
  • Plug an external drive in that is already organized with folders/media, etc.
  • Play media

I love the RMP, just would like to see the base functionality working again.

Thanks for all you do ROKU.

Highlighted
Level 16

@planepineapple wrote:

Don't use them the same way we do? We plug a USB drive into the USB port on our Roku TV. The USB drive has an assortment of media files in various file types. The Roku Media Player is supposed to play those media files.

Think about it.

Well, YOUR "we" isn't the same as MY "we".  None of my Rokus have USB ports or Ethernet and everything I put through the RMP comes in via wifi from a DLNA server on my desktop computer.  So your needs are NOT universal, and neither are mine.

But even though I can at least get my content into the RMP, there still are problems.

Think about it.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

@atc98092 wrote:
I have also asked Roku to roll back to the previous version. You all have provided some valuable criteria for functionality testing, and I'm sure that Roku would like to get them resolved. ... Let's give them a chance to make it right. But they do need to roll back to the previous version first.

I've been following your posts for quite a while now and appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help.  Thanks for that.

I agree a rollback is necessary.  There's just too much screwed up for incremental tinkering -- a major overhaul is required.

One more feedback item I don't think has been mentioned yet:  They added the ability to mark a networked DLNA server as default.  At least I see this, maybe it's not there if the Roku finds only one.   GREAT IDEA.  Only trouble is I haven't been able to make it work.  Every time I go in I have to choose a server all over again.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos