Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 11

Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

My Roku Media Player just updated to 5.0 build 10 and immediately proved unusable for photo slideshows.
I emailed the following to Roku support:

Roku media player has been updated to 5.0 build 10, unusable for photos
No options menu available to turn off file info display overlaid on photo, turn on or off shuffle play, change slideshow speed to slow, normal, or fast
Attempts to invoke options via voice command immediately exits to search with no option to cancel, have to reopen player and navigate from start
Even though slideshow is running, the screensaver starts (my timeout is set to one minute because the screensaver must be allowed to run after opening Hulu for auto-adjust display refresh rate to function; that's another problem that's been reported to Roku and is brushed off as a Hulu problem and has never been fixed, and yes I have reported that issue to Hulu)
This is on Roku Ultra 4670X s/w version 9.2 (reverted from 9.3 because that breaks another item in Hulu which doesn't break in 9.2).

151 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

I am unable to play videos via the USB drive anymore. After a few minutes I get the following:

“USB device Roku Box is no longer available, please choose another source.”

I’m on a Roku 4K original with build 9.3 OS (the app is version 5 build 10).

Anyone else experiencing this?

Highlighted
Level 9

I just went to watch videos that I have stored on a network router hard drive that I use almost EVERY night.  The Media Player update has completely destroyed any chance of me watching ANYTHING!!!!

The app starts out at normal size and then BALLOONS beyond the usable screen!

I have 5 Roku Express + total all but one set to 4:3 because I have older televisions.  I tried changing to 16:9 but it made NO difference!!!

Don't they test these things out BEFORE they launch them and screw us over?!?!?!

And with a great many people still on lock down this will certainly drive people to another brand of device!

Get your **bleep** together, Roku!!!

Highlighted
Level 9

As an update to my first post.

They added a help section to the app HOWEVER, with the screen so severely ballooned you can't even read what the help instructions are because most of it is off of the screen!

HOW do you stop an update for a single app without stopping all updates?  Because I want the OLD version of the Roku Media Player back!!!!  How can I get it?

Highlighted
Level 11

This thing also displays an ugly bouncing graphic as a "screensaver" when it plays audio. The old player displayed the system screensaver.

Even YouTube was recently updated to display the system screensaver when no video is playing.

I use an older higher end plasma TV that still functions perfectly. So I actually do use the "screensaver" as a function for saving the screen. (People with OLED displays and LED/LCD displays prone to IR need functional screensavers as well.) This "screensaver" has the "Repeat All" and "Shuffle" buttons permanently displayed and non moving. The bouncing graphic doesn't cover the entire screen either.

Additionally, when playing back multiple tracks, the screensaver turns off and resets itself to the default wait time in between each track. If your wait time is 5 minutes and your tracks are all under 5 minutes, the screensaver will never activate!

This is big enough of an issue for me that will prevent me from using the player for regular music playback. I used to use my Blu-Ray player which has DLNA support, so I will have to go back to that, unless Roku adds an option to display the system screensaver, which I suspect they won't.

Don't you just love software that works against you?

Highlighted
Level 11

When exiting out of an audio track and then playing it again, it no longer plays back from where it left off. It plays back from the beginning every time.

What a horrible update.

Highlighted
Level 7

I'm also having issues with the latest update using a Roku Premiere.  My issue stems with the use of .srt subtitle files on a media server.  Prior to this update, all .srt files I had with the same filename as the video files played fine.  But since the most recent update of 5.0, update 10, I've noticed the following issues:

Subtitles will not play at all (but play fine on a roku 4 that doesn't have an updated media player app)

Subtitles will appear as all capitalized (but the text in the .srt file itself is lowercase)

Subtitles will work for some video files (x265), but not others (x265, x264).  These subtitle files all use the same encoding of UTF-8

This new update is not good at all.

**UPDATE:  I figured out the .srt subtitle files no longer work with mp4 media files.  If the media file is .mkv, no issues, but any .mp4 no longer work with external .srt files

Highlighted
Level 11

The "Options *" button does nothing when audio/music is being played, despite "Options *" being displayed in the upper right of the screen. This means there is no way to set Volume mode (leveling, etc.) when music is being played back.

In music (list mode), when scrolling Folders there is "Search & Options *" displayed in the upper right. Pressing * brings up this box, which has an "OK" option that does nothing. To exit you have to press the ← button (upper left of remote). It does appear to retain changed options.

I feel a working, functional application with a few quirks got forcibly taken away from me, and I was given beta software full of bugs, thus turning me into an involuntary beta tester.

And what a time to do this... during a global pandemic with people having to stay at home for months! This is really bad.

Highlighted
Level 7

Yes.  This is exactly why I came looking.  Got this message while just scrolling through the files on the same USB stick I've been using for a while with my Roku Ultra.  Can't even get to play anything before I get kicked out and get the USB not available error message.  

Highlighted
Level 11

@HazyWave wrote:

Yes.  This is exactly why I came looking.  Got this message while just scrolling through the files on the same USB stick I've been using for a while with my Roku Ultra.  Can't even get to play anything before I get kicked out and get the USB not available error message.  

Not sure how much faith I have in Roku anymore if this sort of thing can get approved, published, and released on a mass scale to all Roku users as a forced update.