Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJ77
Reel Rookie

Roku Latest Software Update Slow

Has anyone else noticed if their Roku device suddenly got slower and more glitchy after the latest software update? 
I have 7 different Roku devices in my house ranging from the newest Ultra to the Express +4K and they are all performing much slower. 
Tech support says it’s my internet connection as usual however I have a gigabit internet connection and have tested it several times and it ranges between 875MB to 975MB download and 52MB upload so I know for a fact that it’s not my internet nor my routers as I’m running EERO latest gigabit router with two EERO WiFi repeaters and every other device in my house is working just as it was. 
I’ve reset every Roku and even replaced my 100 dollar Ultra because Tech support said something may be wrong with it and there wasn’t so money wasted. 
I’ve read that they set the default but rate in the update to one speed and the Roku can’t determine what connection rate you have now and adjust for that which seems plausible because you can’t get into the cheat mode anymore and set it to the max manually anymore. 
I’m just about ready to get rid of all of my Roku devices in my house and switch to another brand with all of the troubles I’ve had lately. Just not ready for the added expense. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
fuzzy
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Latest Software Update Slow

they need to fix this , i have 2 roku ultras that are almost unusable , both turn on to black screens, hitting home button about six times you get the home screen and then everything slow.

AT LEAST ROLL IT BACK TO OS 10 UNTIL THEY GET FIXED

DON'T KEEP SAYING WE HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN THEY SCREWED IT UP

sony xbr65a8h tv, avr-x4500x denon rec., HDMI to REC., 2 roku ultras and roku express, 100mb fiber
PJ77
Reel Rookie

Mine are also constantly locking up and/or freezing requiring me to completely unplug the device. It use to take 5 seconds or less to launch an App and about 3 seconds or less to start playing a movie. I’ve timed it and it take up to a minute to launch most apps and between 20 seconds to a minute to start streaming a show. The Apple app is even more glitchy and only plays half the time and can’t find the media the other half. Several of my movies from the library of movies that I own won’t even play now. I have to stream them from my iPhone or iPad to even watch them. Yet tech support continues to blame it on my internet connection and/or hardware even after I’ve explained to them that I’m a certified network engineer and know for a fact that it isn’t. They then try to tell me that I need to clear the cache which I’ve already done more times than I can count and way more than you should have to yet it still doesn’t work. 

Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick Fire Stick or some other custom Android/Linux based media player is sounding much better to me day by day

I’m ready to start posting negative  feedback about #Roku# as well as discontinue my efforts in supporting their products to other as I have been since owning mine and now I’m looking like the idiot for recommending them as I’ve been responsible for a little over 100 people switching to Roku. 

NOT ANYMORE UNLESS ITS FIXED SOON

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@fuzzy, the black screen is because of the new "power saving" feature.  Disable it under Settings->System->Power.  It doesn't save much power and it's more trouble than it's worth.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos