Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kc8pql
Level 8

Re: Roku HD player running REALLY hot

"mkiker2089" wrote:
how is it vented on the top? I was holding mine and I don't feel or see any vents on the tops, sides, or bottom even. It's a solid plastic hockey puck.

In the R2 boxes, all the circuitry is fastened to the top of the box. The lower 2/3s of the box is empty. There's very little in there and there are no vent holes.
The top acts as a heat sink, which is apparently adequate to keep it cool since it only uses 2 watts running full tilt. The top of mine never gets more than just the slightest bit warm.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

I noticed mine has a thick layer of felt like material on the bottom with no discernable vent

glad ya told me that--I thought that was dust stickin to the bottom of mine.. Smiley Surprisedops:
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
Vee
Level 7

I have an LT unit that runs cool. I just purchased an HD unit because no LTs were available.
The HD was sitting powered but unused for a week on top of an unpowered television.
When I went to move it the unit was extremely hot to the touch. I would say "dangerously" so.
I immediately returned it to Amazon for an exchange, if the second unit runs that hot I will get a refund.
Heat is death to electronics an idle unit running this hot has a very short life span.
If the second one is the same I will report the product to the CPSC for further mfg contact.

As a follow-up I received the replacement HD unit and it too is very warm in standby. enough to heat up the wood cabinet it sits on.
This is not acceptable for this type of product. There is no venting and has an external power supply.
Returned to Amazon this time for a refund. Poor design will lead to short life.
0 Kudos
mauiman
Level 7

I have two Roku's and they both run "too hot to touch" hot.
Have since the day I un-boxed them.
Heat sinks are too expensive these days, I guess.
My high powered Edge home stereo amp INSIDE a cabinet never gets this hot.
0 Kudos
Lane03
Level 7

"Vee" wrote:
I have an LT unit that runs cool. I just purchased an HD unit because no LTs were available.
The HD was sitting powered but unused for a week on top of an unpowered television.
When I went to move it the unit was extremely hot to the touch. I would say "dangerously" so.
I immediately returned it to Amazon for an exchange, if the second unit runs that hot I will get a refund.
Heat is death to electronics an idle unit running this hot has a very short life span.
If the second one is the same I will report the product to the CPSC for further mfg contact.

Same situation here. I expect your replacement HD to run just as hot. I returned the Roku HD and got a Roku 2 XD and the XD runs just as cool as my LTs. Besides the heat issue with the HD I was having rebooting/freezing problems that I never had with my two LTs. Now it is possible the issues I had with my HD wasn't related to heat and had to do with the different software/processor on the HD. However, if I was a betting man I would put money on that it was due to the unit running at a much higher temperature than the Roku 2 series.
0 Kudos
cwradio
Level 7

My Roku HD player was running at 122F. I purchased it on June 8 from Amazon and today it stop working.
I called Roku support and they will send me a replacement unit after I ship the bad unit back to them.
I am passed the Amazon 30 day return policy. I had the temperature problem from the day I received the Roku HD but did not think it would fail.
Let you all know if the replacement runs hot.
Update
Replacement came today (July 26). New unit is still very hot, 122 degrees F. Emailed customer service about problem.
0 Kudos
afh123
Level 7

This is a real problem. Just got mine two days ago. First day went ok, signal was good, streaming good (just one or two minor twitches). Second day: would disconnect very frequently. I noticed it was very hot underneath (some people here say any device is hot after a while. That is not true. A properly working device should not be extremely hot to the touch, especially not one that barely uses any power like this). The product maker even mentions that it uses less than a 'nightlight'. In my case, it must have been using an entire lamp's worth. I tried every single option mentioned on these forums (soft and hard reset, delinking/relinking, unplugging everything, etc.) but now the Roku HD is simply stuck on the 'Roku' page. I assume it is pretty much dead. Regardless, a good product would not be doing this. I think the LT is probably a better designed product, as I have read here and elsewhere that it does not run very hot (80 versus 120 F for the HD). This is a very REAL problem.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"afh123" wrote:
This is a real problem. Just got mine two days ago. First day went ok, signal was good, streaming good (just one or two minor twitches). Second day: would disconnect very frequently. I noticed it was very hot underneath (some people here say any device is hot after a while. That is not true. A properly working device should not be extremely hot to the touch, especially not one that barely uses any power like this). The product maker even mentions that it uses less than a 'nightlight'. In my case, it must have been using an entire lamp's worth. I tried every single option mentioned on these forums (soft and hard reset, delinking/relinking, unplugging everything, etc.) but now the Roku HD is simply stuck on the 'Roku' page. I assume it is pretty much dead. Regardless, a good product would not be doing this. I think the LT is probably a better designed product, as I have read here and elsewhere that it does not run very hot (80 versus 120 F for the HD). This is a very REAL problem.

Well, maybe that unit is a problem. But you may just have a bad one. None of my Rokus have ever exhibited this problem, and I've had them for years. You're well within the return window, get yourself a replacement.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 8

^ +1 It should not be that hot.
Edited to add:
Buy the way, you say it's hot on the bottom. What is the box sitting on?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"kc8pql" wrote:
^ +1 It should not be that hot.
Edited to add:
Buy the way, you say it's hot on the bottom. What is the box sitting on?

Was wondering that myself. Try moving it to a slightly different location (make sure it's not around other electronics), but if it still maintains it's temperature, definitely return it. We've had very few reports of this happening compared to the number sold, although there have been some. Since you're well within your warranty period, you should be good for an exchange if that unit is indeed a bad one.

I have most of the models personally, and none of them run hot.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos