Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chaoszan
Level 7

Roku HD player running REALLY hot

so i was watching a movie on netflix like i always do and my roku player shutoff and reset itself. i went over and touched it and it was extremely hot. so i unplugged it. I also normally leave my roku HD player unplugged. I have tried contacting support but they havent replied yet. im worried about this being a fire hazard.
0 Kudos
32 Replies
Luxfero
Level 7

Re: Roku HD player running REALLY hot

Some times roku reset it's self it's not abnormal. It shouldn't get very hot if it's always on or in use. Make sure you don't have anything onto of it blocking the air from the vents on top of your player.
0 Kudos
chaoszan
Level 7

i dont have anything blocking it. it was in an open space
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

If you can run it for a few hours and monitor it, please give it a try. If it's running that hot, there may be something going on with the internal components (in which case, although I do not think it will be a fire hazard, but since we don't know the source of the problem yet, I can't guarantee that).

Report back if it still heats up after a few hours again (just be sure to monitor it!!!)

C. Shawn Smith

PS - Also, what's the model and serial number? And if you could pm me your contact information (name, email, phone, etc), if it turns out to be an internal problem, I can direct this thread to the proper channel for speedier responses.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
mauiman
Level 7

Everything runs hot these days, electronics wise.
The old adage "heat kills electronic devices" still holds true today.
My hand made 350 watt power amp for my stereo is barely warm to the touch.
I leave it on 24/7/365.
Two words electronics makers: HEAT SINKS.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"mauiman" wrote:
Two words electronics makers: HEAT SINKS.

All a heat sink will do is channel the heat out, making the unit feel hotter to the touch. It might solve the problem with internal components getting too hot, but it's not going to solve any outward heat issues.
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Level 7

a heat sink just increases surface area thusly dissipating heat by spreading it out. The Roku is already vented completely on top, and since heat rises, keeping the unit ventilated should be quite enough to prevent overheating. Remember that someone's subjective observation of "really hot" can also be "warm" to someone else. At the point where you smell burning/melting plastic then there's cause for alarm
0 Kudos
robertm
Level 7

The roku is not bad looking but I wouldn't call it hot. Maybe if I had a couple of drinks in me...
0 Kudos
chaoszan
Level 7

my roku player was getting really hot though after 20-30 minutes. the weather changed and its been doing that. before when its been cool outside and inside i have no problem. now i keep a fan on it and it doesnt overheat. stupid missouri weather :cry:
0 Kudos
socantra
Level 7

"robertm" wrote:
The roku is not bad looking but I wouldn't call it hot. Maybe if I had a couple of drinks in me...

Sounds like you already have. Smiley Happy
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
0 Kudos