Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidJ
Level 7

Roku Express won't complete setup - Update

Greetings all,

I just purchased a Roku Express and am unable to even complete the setup.  My linksys router is not blocking mac's, and it's within feet of the router.  At one point it did connect to the wireless network but failed when trying to connect to the local network.  After that there was no further connections.  I then disabled 5ghz on the router in hopes that might point me to a resolution, that didn't work. I restarted the router and also unplugged the Roku to resatrt it, that didn't help either.  There is no doubt that I am entering the password correctly, What else can I do?

Update:  I just read a post that said a ~ in a password causes problems, is this correct?

Thanks,
David
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Express won't complete setup - Update

Very possible. Special characters like a tilde have caused issues with devices besides Roku. Easy enough to check by either changing your wireless password or enable your guest wireless with a password without it. (most routers nowadays have the ability to offer a guest account that can reach the Internet but hide your local network)
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Temporarily (and I mean seriously temporarily) change your router password to something simple (don't do abc123, but something similar).  If you can connect, then you know the tilde (~) is probably the reason.

Another thread discussed the period (.) key being problematic due to the way the Roku keyboard displays the period.  There's one key that is not a period, but it looks like it.  I don't remember if that was fixed or not, but I'm pretty certain it was.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
DavidJ
Level 7

Thanks guys,

After having found that thread I went ahead and set up a guest network with an alpha/numeric password only.  I was able to connect, but now after going through the sequence of connecting to the wireless, local and then the internet, I get a "Network connection help" screen that asks if I'm at a hotel or college dorm, or at home.  I select home and it runs through the sequence again and I get an error code 003, saying the software update server could not be reached and to check the network.

A dongle shouldn't be this difficult to set up...

David...
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Why not just change your main network password, temporarily, until you're all set up? Once your Roku is connected to your network, change the password back.. or eliminate the character that's causing the problems..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DavidJ
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
Why not just change your main network password, temporarily, until you're all set up? Once your Roku is connected to your network, change the password back.. or eliminate the character that's causing the problems..

I guess I could, and I will try that later this evening, but isn't setting up a guest network, with a password of only alpha/numeric characters accomplishing the same thing?  

Unfortunately, I have netwrk devices that need to stay connected, and changing a password even for 20 - 30 minutes will cause some headache
Thanks
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

One other suggestion, and I'm only saying it as a genuine gesture of support. If you can get your hands on a second router and configure it as a Wireless Access Point (WAP, most routers can do this) you could have a different connection point just for your Roku. Yeah, extra work and cost to setup, although you can get some pretty inexpensive routers. I actually have several WAPs set up in my home, mainly for better coverage. But that way you can keep your existing password and not mess with your other connected devices.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos